𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

A body covered in blood with a blanket on top. Another murder. It was becoming the order of the day for Lieutenant Colonel Hughes who was responsible for that case. It looked like the State Alchemists had found themselves an enemy and, as Hughes had said, Major Armstrong could be the next victim.

The Major and his subordinates along with Maes Hughes and some other soldiers were at the scene of the crime when they began hearing familiar footsteps. Everyone got up and turned around to salute the newcomer.

'General Brewster, what brings you here?' the man with glasses asked politely.

'The Fuhrer asked me to come,' the serious lady replied. 'Who's in charge of this case?'

'Me, sir,' Hughes spoke firmly.

'From now on, I'll be working with you.'

'Excuse me, General,' Armstrong joined the conversation showing his concern towards the State Alchemist, 'but this man is highly skilled. It could be dangerous.'

'For him, of course,' a confident Brewster replied. 'Anyway, I want to see the body.'

Two soldiers removed the blanket covering the corpse instantly letting the General observe the murderer's work.

'If you don't want to see it, look away,' the beautiful woman told one of the soldiers that seemed to be overwhelmed with the image in front of him.

Her icy eyes observed the body carefully memorizing every single detail she found important. It looked like the killer's modus operandi hadn't changed. His body showed signs of some destructive technique that caused internal bleeding of the victim.

'His way of killing is fast and efficient,' Brewster concluded. 'Which confirms my suspicions. These crimes aren't about these Alchemists in specific; they are about killing all State Alchemists he can possibly find. And he uses Alchemy to do it, but only the deconstructing part of it. Perhaps, he is afraid to explore the reconstructing side of Alchemy... or maybe he considers it blasphemy.'

The female got up after covering the body and looked at Hughes that had been listening carefully to every word she had said. He could tell she was getting to a conclusion, an important one.

'I want a detailed description of this man and all the reports regarding this case tomorrow at nine on my desk,' Brewster said in a determined tone.

'Yes, sir!' the soldiers saluted the General and she left to go home.

When she arrived at her house, she went straight to the kitchen to make some tea. As the water boiled, Brewster walked to her room to put on her nightwear.

Scarlett carefully took her clothes off and then she met her refection in the mirror. She looked exactly the same as six years before that day.

Then she heard the teapot whistling. She got dressed fast and put on her blood-red robe before going to the kitchen again.

The tea was good and just like she liked it. It was one of Scarlett's favourite company on a lonely night and also the perfect poison for a night of good sleep.

The next morning was going to be painful and the Dark Alchemist needed to rest in order to have the patience to read all the papers she would soon have on her desk.

*************

The General arrived at nine o'clock in the morning in her office and, as usual, she prepared some black tea to keep her company as she worked on the Alchemists' murders case. As she removed the tea bag from the drink, someone knocked at the door and the female gave them order to enter.