𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Colonel Mustang was in his office with his unit. They were all working on something and they were all very focused. Then, their concentration was broken by a knock on the door.

'Please, come in,' the dark-haired man said, and the door opened.

Every officer in the room was surprised to see who had knocked. It had been General Scarlett Brewster and she never knocked at anyone's door. What made her knock that time?

'Good morning,' she greeted everyone, and they saluted her. 'I have here some reports that might be of interest to you.'

The lady raised the hand with the reports as she walked straight to the Colonel's desk. As she walked, she noticed Warrant Officer Falman was missing. The day had just begun so it was unlikely that he was already working on the field or that he was talking to another officer.

'Is Warrant Officer Falman missing again?' the alchemist asked as she placed the documents on Colonel's the desk.

'Unfortunately, he is. He's been sick and the doctor said it would be better if he rested for a couple of days,' Mustang explained.

'I need to get myself a doctor like his so I can skip work as well,' the General said and then left the room. She knew a lie when she saw one.

Lieutenant Hawkeye and the other officers looked at the Colonel with worry in their eyes. The General knew they were hiding something, and she was part of the Military senior staff. They had learned from Barry the Chopper that the senior staff might have been involved in everything that had happened regarding the Philosopher's Stones at the Fifth Laboratory.

Hawkeye crossing paths with the serial killer some nights before had been one of the best things that had happened to Mustang Unit since their arrival at Central. All the information they had been able to get from the killer that had been guarding the Fifth Laboratory was extremely interesting and also very intriguing.

The talk the Colonel had had with the armoured soul made him look at the Dark Alchemist in a different way. Could he trust her? Probably not. But did he want to? Definitely yes. However, he had as many reasons to distrust her as to trust her. He was getting lost thinking about the blue-eyed lady again, but he had work to do, so he shooked those thoughts off his head and concentrated on working.

His dark eyes focused on the reports the General had just handed him. Most of them were about the case he was working with. Then, his eyes widen. In the middle of all those dull documents, there was one of his interest indeed. It was about Hughes' death. He had just found one more reason to trust the alchemist.

Mustang felt the need to thank General Brewster. He got up and left his office after putting the documents in one of his desk's drawers. The man walked calmly to the General's office near his and then knocked at its door.

'Come in!' he heard the lady's strong voice from inside the room.

The Colonel opened the door and walked in.

'I came to thank you for those reports, they will definitely help us on our current case,' the dark-haired man said with a small smile.

'I figured you'd find them useful,' the lady smiled back. 'All the reports are copies from the originals, so you can keep them.'

Mustang walked to the lady's desk and sat on the chair in front of it.

'Why didn't you take the case?' the man was straightforward.

'For the same reason you couldn't take it,' Brewster replied calmly.

Was the General implying she wouldn't be impartial? He had seen her analysing a violent crime scene before when Shou Tucker was murdered, and she had been extremely impartial and professional. Even Hughes had told him the lady didn't let her personal life and emotions get in the way of her job.