sixteen

" What's wrong, cuz? " Jaehyun asked noticing his cousin was spacing out. " Is it because of what I just said? "

" Yes, what else would it be? " Jaeyeon sarcastically rolled her eyes. " It's not easy bonding with Doyoung you know? He's been dipping out of lunch to study for exams recently. "

" Yeah, all he does is study at this point. He's crazy for those perfect scores. " Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

" And he's been more involved with the Focus Tech stuff saying that it should be a remote scan and an iPad showing the reasoning of the percentages. He's all over the place while I'm sitting here going to Business meetings knowing all the information of both Natural Life Package and Focus Tech. " Jaeyeon added. " I could never. "

" Well at least you know Doyoung's work would pay off and he'll be making bank once he graduates. " Jaehyun added.

" Obviously. " Jaeyeon rolled her eyes. " You too, you have all the communications and the translation benefit. We do have some foreigners who work in our company who mostly can communicate through us in English. English is such a hard subject. I sometimes feel like I can barely speak it. "

" Well, I guess that's a benefit for me then. " Jaehyun said as the waiter gave him the bill and he paid for it immediately. " Come on. Let's go home. You probably want to finish your Econ and Cosmetology assignment right? "

" Right. Let's go. Thanks Jung. " Jaeyeon said as she and Jaehyun bowed at the waiter and left the restaurant and into Jaehyun's car.

As the two cousins were talking, Jaeyeon's phone rang. Jaeyeon reached for her backpack digging for her phone that was ringing as she threw it in there after she responded to Jaemin's text earlier and she was surprised to see who the Caller ID was.

" Why would Doyoung call me? " Jaeyeon asked Jaehyun in question.

" I don't know. He's your husband, not mine. Pick it up and see what he has to say. " Jaehyun scoffed.

" Whatever Jeffery. " Jaeyeon rolled her eyes as she swiped right to the caller. " Hello? "

" Hey, where are you right now? " Doyoung said on the other line.

" Jaehyun and I went out during our so-called study session for food and now we're in traffic on the way home. " Jaeyeon responded.

" Hey I was tired of studying in the library for once and we had no obligation to be in the school so we had to do something. " Jaehyun said sarcastically making sure Doyoung on the other line could hear.

Doyoung laughed at Jaehyun's remark over the other line making the two widen their eyes in shock.

" Yo, this is like the first time in ages I heard Doyoung laugh. " Jaeyeon said whispering to Jaehyun.

" I know now say something to him. " Jaehyun whispered back.

" Uhhh... Is there something you need to ask me? " Jaeyeon spoke into the phone.

" No, I was wondering if you were okay that's all. " Doyoung asked her.

" Yeah. I'm okay. Thanks for checking up on me. Oh yeah and remember to not overwork yourself during exams okay? Your health is important. " Jaeyeon told him.

" Oh okay... Thanks, Jaeyeon. Bye now. " Doyoung said quickly hanging up the phone on her.

Jaeyeon then put her phone away into her backpack. Luckily, some of the traffic cleared up so it was now a 15-minute drive until they would reach Jaeyeon's shared apartment with Jaehyun.

" That was odd. That's the first time Doyoung has called me. Don't you think? " Jaeyeon asked Jaehyun.

" Yeah, that was the first time he has ever called you. Maybe he's starting to become concerned now that you're his wife. " Jaehyun said.

" Just because I'm his wife that doesn't necessarily mean he'll fall for me. He despises me. " Jaeyeon said.

" Why are you talking so bad about him? Do you perhaps like him? " Jaehyun said making his cousin flustered. He caught her. She was blushing. " You know you're blushing by the way. "

Jaeyeon covered her cheek realizing what she just put herself into and coming up with a response quickly. " No! There's no way he'll like me that way. "

" Jaeyeon you're avoiding the question here. " Jaehyun teased her.

" No! " Jaeyeon blushed.

" Okay then. Simple. Tell me. " Jaehyun responded.

" Fine..... I actually only like him a teeny tiny bit! Since the day he came with Jaemin and me to the Zeus Orphanage, I saw his soft side... but regardless he's still cold and bitter in front of everyone. You know some people ask me why I would marry someone who has a crap personality and heart like him and I get so annoyed because I can say the fact that it's arranged. " Jaeyeon told him.

" But it's a good type of arranging. " Jaehyun responded. " Everything will be okay. I promise. "

" You sure Jung? " Jaeyeon asked.

" If anything you and Doyoung have 4 other people who are always going to be there for you guys no matter what. And you know I got best man right? " Jaehyun asked her.

" Yeah yeah of course you'd get it. You're Jung Jaehyun for god's sake. You get on everyone's good side. " Jaeyeon said.

" Of course. " Jaehyun smirked.

-

Doyoung was sitting in the chair of his room in his apartment in the middle of studying for his exams. He then chose to call Jaeyeon to make sure she was alright from the situation with Byeolmin earlier. After he ended the call with her, he started to groan in frustration, having a full-on conversation with himself.

" Oh goodness, why did I even bother calling her asking for one question? Come on Doyoung she's concerned for you for god's sake. Why couldn't you say you're good luck to her like a normal person? Why can't I even ask her if things with her and Byeolmin were fine? Man, I should apologize to Byeolmin too. " Doyoung ruffled his hair in frustration throwing his phone on the bed while in the middle of the studying session.

" Oh I forgot, Eunae told me the girls cleared up their misunderstandings. Why am I worrying about that? " Doyoung added.

" Why can't I ever open up? Oh yeah, it's because of that incident we had 2 years ago. Grow up Doyoung! But at the same time, there's no use in turning back. There's no way she would remember, and there's no way she would remember doing this either. Why can't you move on from her? Because you're getting arranged to her. " Doyoung continued to rant to himself.

" If only I could turn back time and realize what was happening. Her getting Dissociative Amnesia doesn't even help. " Doyoung sighed.

" Let's just finish studying for today. I'm tired. " Doyoung talked to himself.

Doyoung closed his books and packed his stuff up putting all of it in his backpack. He went out, made himself dinner, took a shower, and now he was lying on the bed. He was definitely thinking about Jaeyeon as he continued to space out into the many thoughts of his. After realizing what he was doing, some of his tears naturally flow out of his eyes making him wipe them.

He checked the time which was 11 pm and he laid down snuggling into his blankets. He slowly closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep so that he could get rid of his sudden frustration of the day.

I only pushed you away to protect you

because I love you...

-

Huh?