Chapter 22 - "Demon Troll Akagi"

Rounding a corner within the school library, I was greeted by a startling sight.

A petite girl. Up on the tips of her toes, stretching as far as she could to claim a book on the tallest shelf of a bookcase. Nobody was in her vicinity, leaving her vulnerable when she ultimately lost her footing and teetered backward.

I caught her before she could collapse. Emitting an awkward gasp, she reeled from me, red enveloping her complexion.

"S-sorry!"

"It's okay." I smiled. "Try to be more careful next time."

I easily removed the book from its place and extended it to her.

"This is what you wanted, right? Here."

She scooped it into her arms, though the colour on her cheeks didn't vanish. "Th-than. . ."

My eyelids fluttered.

Her blush darkened.

"Th-thank you!" she exclaimed.

Then, without the slightest warning, she booked it out of the area. Another girl, her friend I assumed, stood directly ahead, to which they reconvened.

"What's wrong, Yume? Why the rush?"

"S-sorry." The timid girl ducked her head. "I-I just didn't know what to do. Sh-she was so near. And tall, like a model. So I. . ."

"Isn't that Beanstalk Shiina? She's bad news."

"R-really? But she seemed so nice."

"According to the other first years, she's anything but. Apparently, she terrorized the Music Festival to humiliate Upperclassman Hanai. She also took down every member of the Beautician Boyz and now they're her loyal servants."

"E-eh!"

Exhaling heavily, I sauntered elsewhere, their hushed whispers fading as I did.

I guess the rumours about me were still running amuck. It didn't bother me, really, but I wasn't sure how to feel about the whole Beautician Boyz bit. Loyal servants? Where would they get that idea?

"Kisa, there you are!" Banri's holler lofted to my ears.

I pivoted on my foot only to find him with a blinding beam searing to his ears. He gestured to the nearby table, whereby both the chair had been specifically redesigned. Had proper cushioning and everything.

Chatting frivolously while simultaneously steering the masses a good distance were Upperclassman Issei and Hachi, a stilted Naru hovering behind an adjacent bookcase, gaze locked in this direction.

I slumped into the comfy seat, crossed my leg and situated my chin to my knuckle. Banri proceeded to sparkle, contented that I'd appreciated his efforts.

At that same moment, Hachi and Upperclassman Issei crowded me.

"Kisaragi, you sitting like that reminds me of a European queen," Upperclassman Issei gushed. Wasting no time to get into character, he descended onto one knee and bowed his head. "Allow me to serve you, Your Majesty."

"Ooh, let me! I wanna serve Shiina, too!" Hachi cheered. He dropped onto his knees also. "What're your orders, your royal eminence?"

"Hey!" Banri cried, shooing them off in disgust. "Get away from Kisa. You'll infect her with your idiocy."

"No fair, Ban-Ban," Hachi complained. "You're always the first one at Shiina's side."