Chapter 7 - "Happy-Go-Lucky Hachiko"

The ball was suspended in the air for what felt like centuries. It spun in slow rotations and could've fell on either side of the net. Until, finally, it plunged.

"Slam it!" somebody on the opposite side of the net yelled.

I reacted before they could. With three gigantic steps, I leapt into the air. The ball fit snugly in my palm. I thwarted it between the two males who jumped to block me. It hit the floor with adequate impact to bounce over the heads of the other boys and smack the back wall.

For a solid three seconds, the gymnasium was silent. But the moment I landed, I was whacked on the shoulder.

"What a spike!"

"Beanstalk saves the day!"

My teammates chanted with unbelievable vigour before joining the front lines to send taunting looks and insults to the losing team. The energy was playful as they bickered back and forth. Insults about my beanstalk status being the deciding factor were thrown around too. However, paying them no mind—more so when our gym teacher blew the whistle to break it up and head to class—I grabbed my water bottle laying off to the side.

Across the gym, girls were passing the balls between each other. Nonchalant smiles painted their faces, their laughs echoing for miles. None of them paid me any mind. Not that it was anything new. At this point, I belonged here.

"Shiina!"

The call startled me. Lowering my bottle from my lips, I faced the individual who bounded to my side. His grin, like his green hair, was unbelievably bright.

"The ball just flew. And you hit it! And everyone was like, shocked! And it was all, wow! And awesome!"

I couldn't fight a chuckle at his display, especially as he frantically flailed his arms. "What're you talking about, Hachi?"

"You were amazing, Shiina!" he exclaimed. "I've thought so for a while, but you're super athletic. No matter what sport we play, you're our ace!"

"Really?" I stared ahead at the huge circle of guys. "Everyone brushes it off as luck. Excuse it's because I'm a magical beanstalk."

"That's because they're too arrogant to admit an honest defeat from a girl!"

"And you're saying you can?"

"Oh, totally! You beat me fair and square! I can only dream of holding a candle to your level of skill!"

I snorted.

Hachiko Ogami. If I could describe him in one phrase, it was happy-go-lucky. Often, you'd find him springing from the walls, shouting in that over-the-top, megaphone-level tone of voice of his. It was a mystery how he was one of the class representatives of my class. Not to mention the smartest student in the whole grade.

On many occasions, he quieted my classmates' beanstalk taunts whenever they got out of hand. He was the only one to ever compliment me during gym class, too.

He made it impossible to dislike him, and got along with anybody and everybody he interacted with.

If I had to name one reason I was particularly fond of him over everyone else at school, though, it was because—

"Hachi, you bastard! I'm never forgiving you for this!"

Igarashi stomped towards us with the nastiest scowl. I'd typically be consumed with disgust on sight. However, all that filled me was pure hilarity.