Chapter 31 - "I Want To Be With You"

"Shiina, is it true your first concert's coming up?"

"Yup! Isn't it amazing?" I replied to Mao. Seated on my bed, guitar on my lap, pick between my fingers, I grinned. "We've been practicing tons since we formed but now we really gotta put in our all for our first ever gig!"

We'd gotten a date. With the help of Sena who was greatly knowledgable about stuff like this, on top of having familial connections, we managed to score a venue for our first ever concert. It wasn't large-scale and surely didn't house much of a crowd, but a gig was a gig.

"Wowza!" Mao beamed. "Shiina's finally going to become a rockstar! Did you tell Rin?"

"I told him about our band a couple of months ago, but nothing concrete. I should text him now—"

A buzz.

"Speak of the devil." Spotting his flashing name on my screen, I set it on speaker. "Rin-Rin! I was just about to message you. Something amazing happened!"

"It surely can't be more amazing than taking the number one spot on Billboard Japan's Hot 100!" He feigned cheers and fan applause.

"Oh my gosh! This makes three weeks in a row now! Congrats, Rin-Rin!"

"Mao offers you praise as well."

Rin-Rin chuckled. "Mao! Such an honour to be recognized by you. Thank you."

"Rin is most welcome. It is only a matter of time before world domination falls into your palms. You've gained far too much power while away."

"It's a sin, isn't it? This face is, I mean."

Mao and I deadpanned.

"Wow, the fame's finally getting to him," I said.

"Rin, I can see your forehead from here," Mao added.

"Why my forehead?" he demanded. "It may not be noticeable to youngsters like you, Mao, but Shii understands how cool I am. She's obsessed with me."

"Yes, yes, you make me swoon," I played along.

"Oo, a confession from my number one fan! I'm blessed."

He was most likely grinning from ear to ear. Rolling my eyes, I readjusted my guitar on my lap.

"Back to plebeian news, a date's been set for my first concert."

A sharp cry left his mouth. "No way! When?"

"Couple weeks. It'll be non-stop practice until then."

"That's my Shii! The world will finally realize how awesome you are!"

"Can you imagine us collaborating on songs in the future? Standing on the same stage? Attending the same events?"

"We won't have to imagine. Give or take a few years it'll be a reality."

Giddiness flourished in me at the idea, likewise as did Rin-Rin.

"Remember that day I accompanied you to an audition and the judge begged me to perform?"

"And he heard you sing a few notes and practically chased you out of the building? Serves him right for assuming you'd hum a slow song given your appearance."