Chapter 3 - "Both Tall and Sweet Kamakiri"

"Might wanna be careful there, Igarashi. I'll accidentally step on you."

"Go wreak havoc on innocent civilians another day, Godzilla."

Our malice-filled stare down ensued first thing in the morning. Either of us could've jumped the other at any given second. Sure it was my fault for instigating this, but damn, all it took was one look at his ingratiating face to consume me with all the hatred I possessed for this midget.

"Shiina! Somebody's at the door for you."

I hardly held back from yanking out chunks of Igarashi's hair. Peering over the heads of my loitering classmates, I located the source. Tsumugi's miniature frame hovered by the classroom entrance. She beckoned me near with the wave of her hand. My eyebrows furrowed.

At the door? For me? Was it a teacher?

A chair skidded across the floor. Igarashi plummeted into his seat. "Good," he spat. "Don't come back."

I glowered.

He stuck out his tongue.

He had the worst personality!

Fuming, I stomped my way toward the doorway. Tsumugi's chalky complexion proved I was oozing hostility.

I hurriedly rid all traces of it.

"So?" I asked. "Who's here to see me—"

"There you are, Kisaragi!"

My breath hitched in my throat.

I jerked left in an instant, only to have my heart knocked off beat. Looming over me from a reasonable height, the boy of soft eyes and hair grinned widely. One glimpse was enough to warm my skin.

"You're. . ."

"Daisuke Kamakiri," he said, smile growing as if from the relief that I'd remembered him. "I didn't properly introduce myself, right? But I asked around this morning and thought if I came over to your class I'd run into you. Thank goodness I found you."

Tsumugi curtly bobbed her head to excuse herself, and although the boy promptly thanked her, I was honestly too out of it to process their exchange. I had made the decision to find him today, but he was already one step ahead. He'd asked around for me and went to the extent of calling me out? He said his family name was Kamakiri, right?

A subconscious smile took the form of my lips. Who'd have thought yesterday really wasn't a dream? I mean, the situation was so idyllic I convinced myself my mind had concocted most of it. And yet. . . And yet. . . Here he was before me now. . .

My cheeks swelled in newfound warmth. It was scorching enough to give me the notice I was blushing. My face was always quick to flush so I'd gotten used to the sensation.

"Wh-what do you need?" I asked him once I could muster my voice.

Fortunately, Kamakiri didn't find my stutter or blatant blush off-putting. "I actually wanted to ask if you were free tomorrow."

My pulse quickened. "You mean. . . after school?"

"Yup," he said, as coolly as ever. Considering he had his bag strung over his winter uniform, he slipped it off his shoulder and dug inside. He surfaced matching black slips and excitedly held them up for me to see. "My older brother scored two free Mortal Mania tickets from a draw he entered, but he can't attend because he has an exam today. I remember you telling me that you liked the band so I thought you could go instead. Do you want to—"

"Mortal Mania?!" I half-screeched. If my eyes could turn into hearts, that was just how fast I swelled in joy. Beaming from ear to ear, I bobbed my head. "I'll go! Let me go! I'm so going!"