Chapter 33 - "Boy Friend, Girl Friend"

"Shii?" Rin-Rin called.

Mutely, I dashed past the gaping boys crowding the doorway and ducked behind Upperclassman Issei's large body. I was blushing wildly as I squatted, ruffling my hair like a maniac.

What was going on?

Rin-Rin came home, hugged me. . . then we kissed? Why? What was I missing?

A dream? All of this had to be a—

"You have a lot of guests over today," Rin-Rin noted, filled with childlike innocence. "Is there a party going on? I love parties!"

Brightening at the array of sweets lining the coffee table, he scooped one up.

"The hell are you?" Kamakiri demanded.

"Rin Mizota," he responded, cheeks full of a cupcake.

"Not your name!" He was fuming. "What's your relationship with Kisaragi?"

"Shii?" Blinking, Rin-Rin angled his head. "She's my girlfriend."

Another sweep of gasps pervaded the room.

I thought my heart would fail on me.

"Kisa!" Banri shouted so loud it pierced an eardrum. "Kitchen! Now!"

With the exception of Rin-Rin, we all scrambled inside.

"Y-you're taken?" Upperclassman Issei demanded.

"And you didn't tell us?" Kamakiri continued angrily.

"This can't be real! Not my Kisa!" Banri was having an existential crisis.

My mouth flapped for words but I ended up blushing more. "W-we're not!"

"He literally called you his girlfriend," Igarashi snapped.

"Rin-Rin is my childhood friend! That's all we've ever been! This doesn't make any sense."

"Shiina," Hachi called, flailing his hands before my eyes.

"Kisaragi," Naru added, seeing how out of it I was.

"Why are you looking more confused than the rest of us?" Igarashi asked.

"Because I seriously am!"

"You started dating him and you didn't even notice?"

"I-I mean, he did sent me update texts every day without fail and always called me whenever he could."

"And?"

"He sometimes would tell me he loves me and wants to see me—but I thought he was being platonic!"

"She's hopeless," Kamakiri deadpanned.

"Well, even if you don't remember dating him, he's out there convinced you're his." Igarashi shoved me forward. "Go tell him off."

The others nodded vehemently in agreement.

I was back in the living room, their glares fixed on Rin-Rin in the distance, before I could come to terms with it.

"Shii, you have a weird bunch of friends," Rin-Rin murmured once I stiffly arrived at his side. "You told me about them, but I didn't expect this."

"Rin-Rin."

"Sorry." He patted the top of my head, stunning me speechless. "Showing up out of the blue like that must've shocked you, huh? But, the entire time I was away, I missed you so much. We could only call or text but all I wanted was to be together. It was so hard, listening to your struggles and not even being there in person to console you. Having all these great experiences and not having my favourite girl by my side to celebrate with. All these emotions overwhelmed me when we talked the other day and I ended up hopping on the first flight I could. Practically ran here after stopping by my house first, too."