Chapter 4 - "Unbearably Similar Igarashi"

"Why are you here?"

"You're the one who asked me to come."

His response summoned a swirl of disgust at the pit of my stomach.

I buried my face into my hands. "Go home."

"Why the hell would I? I'm already here!"

I peeked through the cracks of my fingers to address the snarling male, glaring at me with extensive malice. My lips caved into a frown.

Toru Igarashi wasn't supposed to get that ticket.

I was so sure of that minuscule prospect that I'd burned it into my mind. Though, upon hearing the final bell and watching him saunter his way out of the classroom, I panicked, and like the idiot I was, tossed the ticket straight at his face. Things unfolded in a large-scale argument, in which we decided to meet up near the venue. Until here we were now, both as grumpy and irritable as could be.

Was it my fault for giving it to him? Sure. But if I hadn't, I'd really have wasted a Mortal Mania ticket. How could I squander a ticket to my ride-or-die band, living with the guilt that I was depriving a fan out there total bliss? Granted, this fan was Igarashi who therefore didn't deserve bliss, but I digress.

"Consider this an act of charity," I spat, allowing my arms to hang limply by my sides. "And spare me the embarrassment by not talking to me."

I started down the sidewalk first, squeezing through the gaps of the incoming crowd. The sun was setting in the west, dousing this portion of the city in an orangey glow. Although I speed-walked on purpose to leave him in my dust, I could distinctly hear footsteps strolling beside me. Out of the corner of my eye, Igarashi's angrily scrunched countenance was clearly illuminated as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. He dragged his feet in large strides unbefitting for his small body and craned his neck in the opposite direction.

"Do you really hate the idea of being here with me that much?"

"Of course I do," I had no qualms replying, tossing him a dirty look. "So stop walking so close to me. How about if people start questioning if you're my pet?"

"I'm not that small!" Grinding his perfectly symmetrical teeth, he sneered, "What reason would people have to associate us, anyway? Let's settle this and head home. Being with you is giving me a headache."

"You should've turned me down, then."

"Only an idiot would turn down a free Mortal Mania ticket. If anything, you're the one who shouldn't have stopped me after school to throw it at my face."

I frowned from frustration. Why oh why did I do that again? Even if I wasted it, anything would've been better than this situation. Considering our seats were right next to each other, even if we didn't meet up beforehand there was no way to escape the worst night of my life. And here, it being my first Mortal Mania concert, it was supposed to be the best.

I hated this all. Even walking alongside someone way shorter than me—a guy, no less—only worked to make me more self-conscious. Especially in a crowded area of the city like this.

"You really have the worst personality."

I swerved in Igarashi's direction. "What did you—"

"Does your height bother you that much?" He stopped to address me with a glower. "Who cares how tall you are."

My voice caught in my throat, much more swiftly than it ever had. Igarashi's malice was like a punch to the gut. I screeched to a halt as well, playing back his sentence.