Chapter 28 - "It's Panda-monium!"

Dad and Mao weren't so thrilled when I arrived home. Mainly because they were too busy smothering me in hugs and warm inquisitions about my well-being.

I told them everything with the exception that the house I'd stayed at was a boy's. All my sentiments and opinions. Then, I apologized to Chie whose only response was a compressing embrace, a testament that she'd long forgiven me, and was apologetic for the way she'd reacted.

The wedding was still on. However, it wouldn't take place for few months; plenty of time to get accustomed to Chie's presence, and warm up to the idea of her in general and not as Mom's replacement. It might take a while before I'd reach that point, but I decided to face her with an open mind.

December and January passed in a dizzying blur. Because Igarashi and I weren't doing so great academically, we gratefully accepted Tsumugi's help with tutoring us for midterms (which was a headache in and of itself). Between passing my exams by sheer luck alone, prepping for the band, Christmas, New Year's, and life in general, February arrived in no time.

Valentine's was all the buzz at Hoshizaki, and was the one thing Tsumugi and Kiharu kept rambling about. Apparently, Kiharu was used to receiving mountains of chocolates due to being a popular class figure growing up. She surmised this year wouldn't be different. Considering what I overheard most first year girls discussing, she wasn't wrong. Almost every one of them were more excited to tailor to Kiharu's whims than giving their heartfelt chocolates to the boys they were crushing on.

Tsumugi apparently received a couple of confessions yearly too. Unsurprisingly, as she was the manifestation of the perfect maiden: cute, kind, good with her hands; not to mention a strong head on her shoulders.

As for me. . . well, I was more popular in a negative way. Growing up, I didn't have any crushes or "friends" to platonically gift. Mom would usually force Dad, Mao and I to make chocolate regardless—all under the umbrella that making memories wouldn't hurt—which typically ended with me eating it all myself. I also gave some to Rin-Rin since he had a rather large sweet tooth.

This year, though, Tsumugi and Kiharu were kind of persistent.

"You don't have anyone?"

It was gym class and the three of us were killing time at the back of the room while our classmates ran across the court. We were doing basketball this unit, which meant taking shifts. All three of us were currently off. Albeit gradually, I'd gotten used to playing with the girls again. Some of them still poked fun at my height being an unfair advantage, but most weren't as snarky as the beginning of the school year. It was definitely more fun too, since I had Kiharu and Tsumugi.

I strangely side-eyed my friends who'd lessened the vicinity between us with unforeseen eagerness. "What do you mean?" I finally asked.

"Are you sure there's absolutely nobody you want to give chocolate to?" Tsumugi tacked on, blue eyes glistening.

I mean, I wanted to make some for Rin-Rin for old time's sake, but with him on tour that feat was impossible.

"Nope," I replied.

"C'mon, Shiina. I know yer slow, but ya' can't be this bad," Kiharu complained. "This is the season for romance! Festering bonds that'll light a fire in your youth! Do you want to die old and unloved?"

"Of course not," I said.

"You mean to tell me you have so many handsome boys at your choosing and not a single one stimulates your maiden heart?"

"Handsome boys?"

They gaped at me.

"She can't be this clueless," Kiharu whispered to Tsumugi.