Chapter 24 - "Starlight With You"

My stupidity would be the death of me.

I was convinced of that whilst standing front and centre before the doors leading to Kamakiri's hideaway.

There was no reason to visit. Yet, here I was, two days later, dressed for war.

Primming my mouth, I steeled my resolve.

Considering lunch was in session, few students loitered within the library. Mrs. Uetsugi was also out for a staff meeting the principal had initiated for all employees come the bell.

I'd shaken off Tsumugi and Kiharu's persistent questions also, excusing I'd be back to join them after I handled something. Surely, if Igarashi saw me now, he'd give me an earful. . .

I whipped my head left and right. There was no use getting cold feet. Clutching the lunchbox in my fingers, I evened my awkward breathing. I'd already made up my mind about this.

Gulping back the nerves threatening to abolish my bravery, I rapped my knuckles thrice against the hardwood. No immediate response arrived.

My shoulders squared. Was he not in? Well, there was no guarantee he would be. I'd just assumed. . .

Right as the thoughts roamed to mind, a click resounded. The door reeled inwards, revealing an impassive Kamakiri.

I brightened. "U-um—"

He slammed the door.

The sound echoed in my ears, the wind from the gesture fanning through my hair and skirt.

My eyelids fluttered slowly, shock etched onto my face.

Ignoring passersby stares to the best of my ability, my mind spun to comprehend what had occurred.

He wanted nothing to do with me. I should've known that. It was painfully clear, even, from the beginning. However, I didn't shy away from coming all the way here despite that. And I wasn't losing heart now.

Lips curling downwards, I knocked again. And again. And again.

Before I could pound the door in for a fourth time, it swung open in record speed.

"What the hell do you want? Screw off—"

I thrust the lunchbox at his chest. His voice caught in his throat, eyebrows rising a fraction.

Brazen, I stared him squarely in the face. "I made you this."

Clearly at a loss for words, Kamakiri's attention darted between it and me. "Huh?" he eventually huffed. "When did I ask you to?"

"You didn't," I replied. "But I wanted to repay you."

He grounded his teeth. Then shoved it back at me. "Don't need it. Leave."

"I won't leave until you take it."

My adamant refusal and gaze ebbed at his composure.

His fingers wrapped firmly around the container, frown broadening. "In what world would I eat your cooking? Do I look like I want an upset stomach?"