Chapter 34 (2) - "Precious"

The dark clouds staining the sky cast a sullen mood all across the city. Rain drizzled lightly from above, steering the populace into nearby buildings, far from this weather.

Then there was Rin-Rin who enthusiastically hopped around the boundless puddles. Utilizing my umbrella, he gazed out at the small lake, and at the countless wildlife that frolicked about. He truly resembled an exuberant toddler possessing not a care in the world. I didn't know whether to give it to his idol livelihood, but his ability to make the most mundane things invigorating was surely one of his strengths.

"Shii, this frog kinda reminds me of you. Its cheeks are all bloated like yours when you stuff your face with sweets."

Having taken shelter beneath a park gazebo, watching this unfold from a distance, I petulantly narrowed my eyes. "Why are all your comparisons of me related to eating?"

He howled with laughter. "It's a compliment."

"Sure."

Skipping class definitely was not something I was proud about. However, Rin-Rin was insistent about talking to me for at least a tiny bit before then. He promised to take full responsibility by apologizing to Miss Akagi personally afterward. Considering his reputation and silver tongue, even that demon troll would have no choice but to let me off the hook.

After managing to successfully escape the swarm of fans, Mrs. Junpei, Rin-Rin's manager whom was parked right outside Hoshizaki, had given us a quick lift here, to a nearby public garden. Our brief exchange still replayed like a record in my mind.

"Mr. Rin has worked nonstop for a long time, balancing homeschooling on top of his heavy workload, and taking care of his health. His work ethic is admirable and as a result he's made remarkable strides in a short time frame. However, he is still a teenager. He turned down an extremely bright offer—put the most pivotal increment in his career on hold—so he could squeeze time in to come home and be with you.

"He pleaded with the company's president himself and had us reorganize his entire schedule to take reasonable time off to be here for your upcoming concert and your family's wedding ceremony." She nudged up her frames. "All throughout our time together, Mr. Rin hasn't gone a single day without mentioning you. As committed as he is to his idol duties, he wouldn't make these kinds of decisions lightly. Seeing how far he has gone, though, proves just how important you are to him, wouldn't you say?"

A breath left my mouth. I wrapped my scarf tighter around my cheeks. Kamakiri had surprised me with it a while back, excusing it was to prevent me from catching a cold due to my "terrible immune system." His domestic hobbies were a stark contrast to his tyrannical personality. I wonder if there was anything he wasn't good at.

"Shii, don't freeze on me!" Rin-Rin cried, dashing toward the shade I was under and to my side.

"Too late for that." My teeth chattered. "Why are we outside in the first place? We could have went to a cafe or shop."

"And expose delicate-hearted civilians to the Rin Mizota?"

Good point. Getting bombarded by my peers was one thing, but the general public? That was a recipe for disaster. We were only safe now because bitterly cold weather and people were not an ideal combination. Also because Rin-Rin had all witnesses at Hoshizaki promise not to tell anyone about him being there (those diehards deleted any and all pictures—proof—instantly).

"Your charm really is a crime," I sighed, recalling Tsumugi's words.

Heat enveloped my shoulders. His long coat supplied me much needed snugness.

"Now you're going to freeze," I argued.

He planted himself into the seat beside me, taking my hands into his gloves and rubbing them to provide them insulation as well. "A small price to pay if it means you don't turn into an icicle," he said, smiling softly. "I've built up enough endurance, so I'll be fine. The music videos I've done where I had to get drenched in the rain for unspeakable minutes or surfing and swimming in numbing water. Even having to perform through technical difficulties and horrible weather conditions in flimsy outfits. All whilst ensuring my smile and voice doesn't waver."