Chapter 2 - "The Childish Idol Rin-Rin"

"What jerks! They make me so mad!"

The yell travelled a great distance from my cell. I swiftly lowered the volume. Without regard that my upper body was splayed against the wooden table beneath me—and that customers of this establishment were gawking at my display—I returned it to my ear with a sigh just as loud.

"This never used to happen when you were here, Rin-Rin. Since you're actually taller than me, you made me feel normal."

Considering Mt. Foodji, a well-known family restaurant, was quite the distance from Hoshizaki Private Academy I'd made it my occasional hangout spot after school. I typically ordered myself whatever caught my fancy and lounged around until sunset or whenever I felt like going home. Fortunately for me, today was one of the few days Rin-Rin had time off work to listen to me rant.

"Don't listen to them, Shii. Tall or not, you're the prettiest girl known to man! They're idiots if they can't appreciate that."

Static sounded on his end of the call, along with faint murmurs in the background. I moved my head to the side, resting my ear on the flat surface of the table. I swayed my half-empty cup with a frown. "Does being pretty even matter if I'm too tall for them to look at?"

A beat of silence elapsed. For a moment, I worried if our long-distance call had been disconnected. Then, in a tone laced with conviction, he firmly said, "Shii's really, really, really pretty. The prettiest! And height's got nothing on it."

I cracked a hopeless smile, knowing he'd gritted his teeth to stress his letters and make a point.

"How can I take you seriously if you say it like that?"

"I try my hardest to cheer you up and you're laughing at me?"

I chuckled some. "Sorry."

Why did talking to him never fail to lift my spirits? Not that I expected any less from someone who'd grown up with me and therefore had me figured out better than my own family.

More static erupted. Then, shutter sounds and erratic voices intensified. Also. . . bird caws?

My eyebrows furrowed. "Are you at a shoot right now?"

"Yup, in Okinawa," he responded and suddenly shouted, "Ooh, save me a snow cone, Hama!"

Okinawa? Snow cones? He really was enjoying himself, getting to travel the world, away from this stuffy city life.

"They want to take pictures of me surfing."

"Like, in the ocean? Are you sure that's safe? You're a horrible swimmer."

"Wow. You have such little faith in me it hurts. I practiced lots and lots, you know."

"Oh? So you can finally do a front or back crawl now?"

"Don't be silly, Shii. If I fall into the water, I'm a goner."

I keeled over.

He snickered.

"Then, what'd you practice?"

"Balancing on a board." I could hear him smiling. "Common sense indicates a ninety-nine percent chance I'll wipe out. I'm betting on the last one percent I won't. That said, if push comes to shove and something does go awry, my manager can call the paramedics."

I ejected an exasperated sigh.

Seriously, he'd never change.

"On a more important note."

"So you drowning isn't important?"

"Compared to cheering you up, not in the slightest."

"Well, gee. I'm honoured."