Chapter 17 - "Beautiful World"

I'd met a ton of weirdos in my life—and by that I meant a lot—but Banri Taniguchi definitely took the cake.

He was on a whole different level.

"Kisa, would you like me to carry your bags?"

"Kisa, I heard from your classmates about your workload, so I spoke to your teachers to extend your deadlines."

"Kisa, are you hungry? I prepared a bunch of your favourites."

Every step I took.

Every move I made.

He was there.

He was always there.

The incessant whispers that pervaded the hall were deafening. The beady eyes boring into my back from all directions as well. Oblivious to that was Banri, who innocently fluttered his eyelids the moment I twirled around to face him.

Soon, though, his confusion melted, and he gladly extended the boxed lunch in his hands.

"You like chicken cutlets, right? I also included apples since you mentioned they were your favourite fruit. Cut them up into cute slices, too."

What was going on?

I thought God was finally starting to look out for me. Then, what was this madness?

"Isn't that Banri Taniguchi?"

The whispers were ear-piercing.

"The Banri? The one apart of the Beautican Boyz? What's going on, then? Why is he with that beanstalk?"

"No way. Are they together?"

Cheeks scalding, I unintentionally frowned at him. "Is this necessary?"

Banri flinched. "Did I mess up? It's because I cut them into childish designs, isn't it? You're way cooler than that. Obviously you'd want something spiffy!"

"Not the food!"

Banri fluttered his eyelids. My frown deepened.

I clasped his wrist.

"Come with me."

I dragged him off before the whispers could dare catch up to us. Once alone beneath a nearby staircase, I folded my arms across my chest.

"What are you doing?"

"Admiring your beauty."

I was sure all inches of my skin flamed. His straightforward demeanour left me floundering for my voice. "You told me you wanted to get to know me to figure out how to style me for the show."

"I do."

"Then, what's all this? Why are you playing the role of my servant?"

His gaze never wavered or shied away.

"Because you're beautiful."

"Banri!"

He heaved a breath. Concealing the lunchbox into the bag hung over his hip, he faced me once more.