XX

"I think this is the end, Rebekah

"I think this is the end, Rebekah." Nina coughed, her body physically hurting as she did.

"Stop it."

"Bex, I just want you to know how much I love you before I go."

"Nina, love, you're not dying."

"I think my body is saying otherwise."

"Your body is telling you that you have the flu."

"Exactly. Dying."

Rebekah groaned, rolling her eyes. The blonde walked out of the bedroom, leaving a very tired Nina in bed with the covers over her head.

A couple days ago, a few colleagues from work started to call in sick. Now, Nina was unfortunately the next victim.

Although she could deal with vampires and witches, when it came to a fever and nausea the human was, in Rebekah's words, a big baby. Nina complained that she didn't know what she was talking about seeing as she never gets sick, but her wife waved her off.

Not bothering to see where Rebekah had gone, Nina closed her eyes and decided to go back to sleep. There was no way she was doing anything else besides staying in bed all day. 

"Nins, wake up."

The dark haired woman groaned, mumbling random words while turning over to face the other direction.

"I made you breakfast. Wake up or I'll feed it to Lexie."

Suddenly feeling very awake, Nina sat up on the cozy bed and leaned her back against the headboard. Rebekah smirked in victory as she placed a tray filled with food and tea on her lap. The blonde leaned over and gave her wife a kiss before walking off towards the closet. Not wasting any time, Nina dug in.

✵ ✵ ✵

"My brain hurts."

"You're being dramatic again, love."

"I can't help it. My head feels like it's going to explode any minute."

"Try and suck it up. You have a call with Josette soon, remember?"

It had been three months since Nina and Rebekah visited Hope in Mystic Falls. Much to the originals pleasure, Nina agreed that they wouldn't have to go back to the town unless it was to visit their niece.

Since visiting, Nina often video called with Josie to help her with archery, seeing as she couldn't physically be there. Two weeks ago, she sent her some of her old supplies and it had just arrived the other night. The young witch was thrilled to say the least. They had decided to call in the evening so she could teach her how to use some of the equipment and before Nina was excited, but now she was exhausted and had no desire.

"What if I tell her I died? It wouldn't be that much of a lie."

Rebekah snorted, shaking her head in amusement. The blonde took a seat next to Nina on the couch and wrapped her arms around her, letting the human drop her head on her shoulder. Feeling left out, Lexie wagged her tail back and forth before jumping next to Nina, dropping her head in her lap.

"This is kind of like a practice test."

"Huh?" Nina questioned, furrowing her eyebrows as she stared at the wall ahead.

"You teaching Josie. It's like a way to prepare for when you'll teach our future kids archery."

"Yeah," she smiled, "It kind of is."

It was silent for a moment before Rebekah hesitatingly opened her mouth, hoping she won't be quick to regret her next words.

"I know I haven't taken the cure yet and there's still a lot more things we should do, but when do you think we should have kids?"

The human lightly shrugged, lifting her head off of Rebekah's shoulder and lifting her legs onto the couch so she could sit on them. She ran her fingers through Lexie's soft fur, not realizing that her innocent response caused a wave of panic in the blonde. After a few seconds and finally sensing some tension, Nina turned her head towards Rebekah and gave her a questioning look.

"It's just," Rebekah sighed, breaking eye contact and looking down at her hands, "You're twenty-eight and I'm well over a thousand and I don't know how much time we'd have if we waited."

"What do you mean? I'm pretty sure women can have babies in their thirties. Forties even, I mean not that I would because that's too old for me."

The vampire let out a breathy laugh, finding a bit of comfort in her wife's naivety.

"The cure. I don't know the side effects. When I got it, Caroline told me about how Katherine,"

"That vampire you told me rules hell?"

"She used to rule it. But I'm sure she's back there. Anyways, since she was so old, it's like time caught up with her and sped up the aging process. I'm a thousand years old and thinking about all that makes me wonder,"

"How long until you die." Nina finished, her eyes filled with pity and understanding as she brought Rebekah's hands into her own. "You told me that your brother never said anything about side effects, so maybe it was just something that happened with Katherine. I didn't know him well, but I've heard enough to know that he wouldn't do anything to hurt you."

Rebekah nodded, her eyes rapidly blinking away the unshed tears.

"We should come up with a plan. You know, just incase."

"Of course, we can do whatever." The human smiled, "Did you have something in mind?"

"I have been thinking about it, but I'm not sure if you'll like it." Rebekah said, "What if, you got pregnant first. We would both be able to raise the baby for a bit before I'd take the cure. If I die the next day, then at least we would have already had a child. You wouldn't be alone."

Nina bit on her bottom lip, trying desperately to stop it from trembling any further. Although it was just talk, her heart ached anytime she thought about Rebekah dying. She was her soulmate, her best friend, and she didn't want to think of a world where she left her. Swallowing the lump in her throat, the human flashed Rebekah a tearful smile.

"If that's what you want, then it sounds perfect."

Before the blonde could respond, Nina's phone started ringing with multiple messages. Quickly reaching over, Nina picked up her phone from the table and read each one.

"Crap, I forgot about the call!"

Rebekah smiled, shaking her head. Giving her wife a kiss on the forehead, she stood up and exited the room to give the two privacy for their lesson.

We're going to pretend that the last time I uploaded was not in October....

I hope you all have been well considering everything that's been going on. If you ever need to chat, my messages are open! Wishing everyone a happy new year!

Before I end this, I have a question and would greatly appreciate feedback. Would you guys want me to make a second book for Nina and Rebekah's future or just make it a part two in this one? Also, if you have any baby names comment them! Let me know :)