IX

Sixteen Years Later

December 25, 2044

"There's so much more snow than usual this year!"

Rebekah laughed, "I thought you hated the snow."

"I do, but I can see why mom loved it."

Rebekah smiled, combing her fingers through her son's hair.

"Why don't you start heading out and I'll bring the hot chocolate once it's done?"

Nino nodded, giving his mother a quick kiss on her cheek before hurrying off to get his jacket and boots.

At the sound of the door closing, Rebekah deflated. Her warm smile now turned into a heartbroken frown.

Hope, her own niece, always said it gets easier. But it never does.

When the five minutes pass, Rebekah pours the hot water into two mugs before bringing them outside.

Nino was already at the tree in the back of their backyard, sitting on the tire swing that should've fallen off years ago. She could see his head leaned forward, his lips moving. Rebekah knew what he was doing.

When the blonde made her way over, he lifted his head. He sent her a smile, but she could see the sadness behind it. She always could.

Rebekah handed her son the mug, standing beside the swing as they both gazed down at an engraving in the tree.

Nina Brandis-Mikaelson

1999-2028

Wife, Mother, and Friend

"She never got to meet you, but I know she loves you so much. Wherever she may be now, I know she's looking over us."

"I just wish I could talk to her," Nino whispered, "I see pictures and videos. I hear stories, but it's not the same."

There was a moment of silence before he spoke again, "I guess I can keep honoring her through my name. Even if it's not exactly the same."

Rebekah let out a teary laugh, "I remember one night, it was when she was around five months pregnant. We were trying to figure out some names, which we obviously never decided on, but she brought up your name. She said she felt like she would come off as egotistical having a child with almost the same name, but she loved it so much."

"Uncle Nathaniel said he told you guys to use his name. I'm glad you didn't."

"Is that my godson talking smack?"

"No!"

In a flash, Nino was pulled out of the tire swing and thrown over Nathaniel's shoulder.

Rebekah wanted to surprise Nino; cheer him up as much as he could with his favorite uncle.

Since Nina's death, Rebekah had gotten closer to Nathaniel. Nina meant a lot to the both of them, so they depended on each other a lot. He even moved in for the first couple of months to help raise Nino.

Rebekah always knew she'd lose Nina one day. It wasn't something she could stop, but she never expected it would happen so soon. It's been sixteen years and yet, Rebekah wakes up every morning and stares at the empty bed beside her; her heart aching for Nina to magically appear.

But she never does.

Nina was the world to Rebekah. The one person she loved more than anything, the only person she ever wanted. And now, she has two people that mean the world to her. Her late wife and son.

Nina broke her heart, but Nino fixed it.

And although she's gone, Rebekah knows someday they'll be together again.

All three of them.

:,)

You can yell at me. It's okay.

This story had two different endings: Nina and Rebekah living with their multiple children or Nina dying. When consulting in my friend, his words were "Kill. Always kill." Soooooo that's what I did

If it wasn't obvious, this is the last ever chapter of Lose It. If I'm being honest, this is my favorite book I've written. I have many archived ones and two published, but Lose It will always be my favorite to write. I just loved every single character and how light hearted the book was (Until the end but you get what I mean...)

I just want to thank everyone for reading. I started this two years ago and the support I've received throughout that time always warmed my heart. Reading your comments always made me laugh and I really can't thank all of you enough

I left some things unanswered (like if Rebekah took the cure or not, etc) so y'all can decide on it yourselves! If you want to comment your takeaways, then go ahead! I'll try to answer them

As always, I love and appreciate every single one of you; silent reader or not. May you all find your own Nina one day 💛

 May you all find your own Nina one day 💛