I

Nina smiled once she saw the blonde walk into the kitchen

Today marked five years since the two have met. Both never had expected to become such an inseparable duo after that night.

It all started when Nina had drank much more than she usually does and offered to share her apartment with Rebekah. Of course, the blonde who had already consumed more alcohol than what's normal for any human, had agreed.

All the vampire intended was to spend the night, thank Nina for letting her stay, and continue her travels. However, her plans changed the morning she woke up. She felt happiness when she recalled the night before's events. The same happiness she hadn't felt since Marcel.

Luckily for Rebekah, Nina was in desperate need for a roommate to help pay rent and the vampire was more than okay to stay with her. If she couldn't be with her family, then why not be with a friend.

"Bonjour, Bex." The woman spoke, pouring a cup of coffee for the blonde.

"Morning." Rebekah smiled, gratefully accepting the caffeine and sipping it.

During the five years the two have lived together, Nina was still in the dark about the supernatural world. Rebekah has desperately wanted to tell her everything, but she feared how the woman would react. The blonde deemed Nina as an innocent flower that would be crushed together by the news. Of course it was hard for Rebekah to explain how she never got cuts or bruises, but she always managed without having to compel her. The blonde had also gone to the extra measure of slipping vervain into Nina's drinks daily, to protect her in case she ever ran into a vampire.

"For our five year friendiversery, I thought we could walk around the shops and eat at a cafe for lunch."
The human spoke, walking over to the windows and opening the blinds. "Or we can stay inside, bake, and watch movies."

Rebekah lightly laughed, watching how the dark haired woman's expression saddened once seeing the dark clouds and rain drops falling from them.

"Sounds perfect, Nins."

So, that's exactly what the two roommates did.

They were in the middle of baking spitzbuben cookies while Mean Girls was playing on their shared iPad on the counter.

"You know, sometimes you remind me of Regina George."

Rebekah let out a fake gasp, pinching some flour and throwing it at Nina, resulting in them both letting out a fit of laughs.

"I'm serious! Based off of the stories you tell me, you seemed like such a mean girl."

"Oh really? What have I done?"

"Didn't you wreck some guy's car?"

"Ah yes, Matt Donovan." The blonde laughed, recalling how that night she had turned Elena Gilbert into a vampire.

"Please tell me he at least deserved it."

Rebekah shrugged, smirking as she picked up the pan and brought it over to the oven. 

"At least I've had a few rebellious moments. You haven't done anything remotely bad."

"That's not true!" Nina remarked, wiping off the counter with a wet cloth.

"Oh really?" The vampire laughed, "Name one bad thing you've done that you don't regret."

"I talked to a total stranger and asked her to move in with me after only knowing her for less than 24 hours. Turns out she's pretty awesome and we've been best friends for five years."

The blonde smiled a true and honest smile, which was rare. Usually the original's smiles were sarcastic and only half hearted, but she found herself bursting out toothy smiles whenever she was with Nina.

✵ ✵ ✵

The two were laid down on the couch, another movie playing on their small tv.

Nina was fast asleep, her head leaning up against the couch's shoulder.

The blonde looked over to her roommate, smiling. Before the vampire could keep watching, her phone rang. Rebekah quickly turned the sound off so it wouldn't wake the human.

Rebekah walked into the next room, answering the call.

"Nik, it's late over here."

"It's Hayley." Klaus spoke, his voice sounding utterly broken.

"What do you mean, it's Hayley?"

"She's dead, Rebekah."

"What happened." The blonde asked, her voice cracking as she gulped.

"She was trying to save Hope."

"Rebekah?" A small voice called, causing the blonde to wipe her tears quickly.

"I have to go Nik."

Rebekah walked back into the living room, seeing Nina now slightly awake.

"Sorry, my brother called."

"Don't worry about it." The human smiled, laying back down.

Little did Nina know, this would be the last time she saw her close friend's face for awhile.

their apartment :))

I just wanna say ahead of time that most chapters will be short and probably less than 1,000 words!!

This is kinda following the season 5 storyline but after s5 it will continue <33