XI

Nina walked alongside Nathaniel down the streets of Geneva, Switzerland

Nina walked alongside Nathaniel down the streets of Geneva, Switzerland. It had been four days since their first encounter. The vampire compelled the human to let him stay in Rebekah's old room, promising not to make too big of a mess. Unfortunately for Nina, she had no choice but to let him.

"I'm surprised none of them had come after you yet. I mean, you did snap blondie's neck."

"Rebekah," The black haired woman corrected, "Her name is Rebekah. And I didn't exactly have a say in that, did I?"

"Oh, come on. You can not tell me you haven't had at least had some kind of desire to harm her?" Nathaniel scoffed.

"I would never hurt Rebekah. Vampire or not, she is still my friend."

"Friend." The vampire laughed. "We both know that's not true."

"Excuse me?"

Nathaniel rolled his eyes, taking ahold of the human's arm and dragging her down a side alley.

"I've been watching the original family very closely for the past hundreds of years. Throughout them all, Rebekah has had many men and women, but none of them made her as happy as you did. Like it or not, you do not love her as a friend. You're in love with her. Almost a shame that I'll be killing her soon."

Nina glared at the man, ripping her arm out of his strong hold, "You can stay in my home, you can compel me and play therapist all you want but you will not bring harm to Rebekah. Do you understand?"

Without giving Nathaniel time to respond, the human turned on her heel and stormed down the alley, walking back to her apartment.

"See you at home, darling!" The vampire yelled at the woman, a cocky smirk displayed on his face.

✵ ✵ ✵

Nina yawned, her back against the wall as she stared out her window from the living room. Nathaniel was fast asleep but the human, however, could not find herself able to close her eyes.

The apartment was dark, the only light coming from a street lamp outside. It wasn't like the woman minded, it felt peaceful. It allowed her to think, although she did not particularly want to. It would be so much easier to dwell on going to work instead of repeating what the vampire stated earlier. Was she really in love with Rebekah Mikaelson?

Before her thoughts could flood her memory, Nina's lips parted as she stared down at the sight before her. On the sidewalk stood the blonde original, looking up at the dark haired woman with pleading eyes. Forgetting about Nathaniel and everything else, the human jumped down from the window box and jogged over to the door, slipping on a pair of flats sitting there.

Nina raced outside the front door, taking a left toward the vampire. She halted not even five feet away from Rebekah, ignoring the rain pouring down on them.

"What are you doing here?"

"You snapped my neck." The blonde whispered, staring into the human's eyes.

"I didn't want to. He compelled me to."

"Who's he? Why haven't you been putting vervain into your drinks?"

"You have been doing it for me all these years it slipped my mind." Nina spoke, widening her eyes in memory. "His name is Nathaniel, your brother killed his family years ago and he's hellbent on revenge. Not on only him, but all of you."

"I'd like to see him tr-"

Before Rebekah could finish her remark, Nathaniel sped up behind her, stabbing the blonde in the stomach with a white oak stake.

"Nathaniel, no!" The human screeched, tears now mixing with raindrops pouring down her cheeks. "You can't do this!"

"Why not? I've been waiting for this moment for five hundred years."

"Because I love her! You showed me that this morning." Nina pleaded, hoping she could get to him. "I love her like you loved your wife. Please, I can't lose her."

Nathaniel stared at the human in-front of him. He doesn't know why, but the mention of his wife sparked something inside of him. If he were to take away someone's lover, he would be on the same level as Klaus. For the past five hundred years, the vampire was vengeful, wanting nothing more than to see the original family burn in flames, but now that he has one of them closer to death than he ever has, it did not seem satisfactory. Hearing the groans of pain coming from the blonde and the heartbreaking cries from Nina caused Nathaniel to furrow his eyebrows. While mantaining eye contact with Nina, he slowly pulled the stake out, red blood coating it. Rebekah fell forward, the human catching the blonde in her arms and used her strength to keep her up.

"All my life I've been trying to kill them. I don't know what to do now." The vampire spoke, his voice cracking. "How do I redeem my wife? My family?"

"By moving on." Rebekah spoke through breaths, "By finding a place to settle down, by doing good instead of killing everyone. This thirst for revenge will only turn you into a monster, like it did for my brother."

"Where do I go?"

"Perhaps somewhere with a bar. You might meet someone extraordinary and fall in love. Who knows, you have all of eternity." Nina softly smiled.

The vampire nodded, "I'm sorry, Nina Brandis. For everything. I hope you live the fullest to your human life."

The human nodded, watching as Nathaniel walked away. As soon as he was gone, Nina looked down to Rebekah, who seemed to have fully healed. Unfortunately, the dark haired woman also realized it was raining harder than before.

"Do you want to come inside? There's still a few spare clothes in your room."

"I'd love to."

sorry for the long update!!

the gif I originally wanted to add looked a lot more realistic and it was of Nina and Nathaniel but it wouldn't load so I had to make this one :((

I hope you all enjoyed and don't forget to vote and comment!🤍