XIX

"Auntie Bex?" Hope gasped, stepping through her bedroom doorframe to hug her aunt

"Auntie Bex?" Hope gasped, stepping through her bedroom doorframe to hug her aunt. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"I haven't seen my favorite niece in too long," Rebekah smiled, pulling away from the hug while looking down at the tribid. "You look so much older in person than you do over the phone!"

Jokingly rolling her eyes, Hope turned her head to look at the human. "Nina! I'm sorry, I didn't even notice."

"No worries, if I were in your position I'd be gleefully hugging Rebekah as well." Nina joked, giving the teen girl a side hug while grinning at her wife; who was rolling her eyes this time.

"Do you guys wanna come in? I don't really have any place for you to sit besides my bed but-"

"Actually, we were hoping we could take you out! Alaric," The blonde spoke, clearing her throat after Nina nudged her side. "I mean, Dr. Saltzman, said it was alright if we spent a bit of time outside school grounds."

"Oh! Yeah, I'd love that. Let me just change really quick and I'll meet you out front."

The dark haired woman smiled and nodded, taking the vampires hand and leading her away from the room and through the halls.

"She seems off, doesn't she?"

Nina sighed, "I will admit, she seems a bit jumpy. Maybe it's because her mothers anniversary is soon?"

At that remark, Rebekah slightly tensed, to which Nina squeezed her hand reassuringly. Unlike Stefan, Rebekah hadn't failed to leave Hayley Marshall out of her stories. She once described her as the glue that brought her family back together. If it weren't for giving birth to Hope, she wasn't sure if Klaus would've been redeemable. Although she had Freya, Rebekah saw Hayley as her sister. A Mikaelson. From Nina's understanding, the hybrid died a hero and despite never meeting her, she could definitely admire that about her.

The two stood by the entrance for only a few more minutes until Hope came to join them.

"So, where are we going?"

"Well, we heard about this place that serves amazing milkshakes. I even heard there's a cute waiter there." Nina smirked, raising an eyebrow to the tribrid.

✵ ✵ ✵

"I am not looking forward to my classes but this made me feel a lot better, thank you guys." Hope said, softly smiling to the two women.

The three of them had spent a couple hours hanging out and talking about everything. While Nina was a bit scared of Hope not opening up because she was there, it turned out to be quite the opposite. The teen was glad to take advice and love from the couple. Like Nina had thought before, Hope was feeling down because of Hayley's death anniversary that was soon. Although Hope had told them she was in better spirits after their afternoon together, both women knew she was still a bit sad; and the human couldn't blame her. Nina could never imagine losing her mother now, never mind being a teenager and experiencing the loss of both parents.