VI

MONTH 5 OF PREGNANCY
SEPTEMBER 16, 2028

Of course someone had to freaking die, Nina thought.

She began her day with a nice breakfast with her wife, the two of them sitting outside of a cute cafe and looking at different baby clothes online.

They had planned on doing more nursery shopping today and setting the room up tomorrow, but Nina had gotten called into work as they were on their way over to the stores.

While any forensic scientist would be excited over such an interesting case, Nina was the complete opposite.

Nina is a pretty small girl. She's always been shorter than everyone her age - the height difference between her and Rebekah is adorable in her opinion. But once she got pregnant, she felt like she grew ten times the amount she was before. Nina assumed it had to be the sperm donor's doing, since the baby definitely didn't get the height from her. Her belly is huge compared to others at 5 months and although she loves being pregnant, it's already tiring her.

Nina groaned, letting the camera dangle from her neck while she massaged her lower back.

Bending down to take pictures and samples from the bodies was excruciating. It's not that she couldn't do it, because she was determined to, it's just the extra movement that was hard.

Her little boy was already kicking and she loves it. Rebekah is equally ecstatic, the two talking to him before they sleep and watching the little kicks.

Knowing procrastinating would make this even worse, Nina pushed away her pain and powered through, finishing up what she needed to do at the crime scene before heading back to the station.

The ride wasn't too long, but the baby seems to hate car rides. At every bump and turn he would go crazy and kick, making Nina want to throw up her breakfast.

As she was walking through the station doors, her phone rang; the song It's Not Living (If It's Not With You) by The 1975 filled the room. Thankfully, it was noisy and no one seemed to have heard.

Nina clicked answer and shuffled into her room, closing the door behind her.

"Hi, Bex," Nina hummed, balancing her phone between her ear and shoulder as she put her materials away.

"Nina?"

"What's wrong," Nina frowned, hearing the crack in Rebekah's voice.

Rebekah is one of the toughest people Nina has ever known. Throughout all of the years she's known her, she can count the amount of times she's seen her cry. And it wasn't that Rebekah was insecure crying in front of others, she just dealt with her emotions as best she could and didn't feel the need to cry.

When Rebekah didn't reply and only sniffled, Nina began to worry. What if something happened to one of her siblings? Did someone they know die?

Not caring about processing her findings from the crime scene, Nina promised she'd be home in ten minutes and rushed out of the station; making a mental note to apologize to her boss later.

But apologizing wasn't her first priority and it never will be. As much as she loves her job, nothing will ever come before Rebekah and their baby. Those two were the owners of her heart, the two people she'd do anything in this world for.

Making it back to their home in a record breaking seven minutes, Nina ignored the two dogs sleeping by the door and rushed through the house calling Rebekah's name.

As soon as she made it into the living room, she halted.

Rebekah was sitting on the couch, tears streaming down her face. On the one across from her sat Freya and a woman Nina hasn't recalled meeting before. But she seemed so familiar.