3.

It was almost light when Ailbhe finally got to sleep. While Grace's family were much more proper and had called it a night after John beat five of the Cavalry in the boxing ring Arthur had strung up behind the stables, the Shelbys and Kennedys were far from finished. Ailbhe was well aware there was business happening and she knew better than to go asking questions on a night she hadn't been asked to help. They were told to be the distraction, to keep everyone out of the house and too busy to hear anything. And as they should, they did what they were told.

Johnny Dogs and the Lees were camped just down across the river from Tom's mansion and so that's where they went. They had been there a few days and God only knew how long they would stay. But Ailbhe was glad they were so near, it meant Esme could see her family and be with them a little more. Ailbhe knew the four walls of a house felt very constricting to her, made her feel like she was trapped and there was no way back. But John wanted her to be free, that's why he had a plan about a house in the country. He had told Ailbhe the night before as they sat around the camp fire. Ailbhe smiled when she thought of it, she hoped one day someone would love and understand her that much.

Ailbhe had a tin cup pressed into her hand and it kept being filled, despite her saying she didn't want any more to drink. She could feel herself getting drunk, her cheeks going red and her laugh becoming louder and more frequent. She also could feel Finn's eyes burning on her from across the camp fire. He was sitting on a bench, Arthur's arm slung around his neck. He had shed his jacket and shirt from the race earlier, leaving him in just his white undershirt and braces. His peaky cap now firmly planted back on his head. Ailbhe couldn't help herself from staring back.

He was so overjoyed when he won the race, John had pulled him off the horse and jumped up and down roaring that his brother was the best Birmingham had seen. Johnny Dogs hoisted him up on their shoulders and paraded him around as if he had just won the Grand National. Jade and Ailbhe toasted him with the bottle of champagne Jade had brought from the big house, Tommy's orders to bring it with her and make as much noise as they could. Jade had gone home with her father earlier, knowing she had an early train back to London in the morning. After a quick embrace with Ailbhe and her brother, she said her goodbyes, promising she'd be back soon.

Therefore, Ailbhe was left with the boys and Esme who had committed to getting as drunk as possible with John. Linda was minding the kids so Esme was taking full advantage of the night of freedom. She was sitting on John's lap, his arms wrapped around her and his lips constantly finding hers as they sat and talked to Finn. Realising he was perhaps being a gooseberry as Esme and John started getting a little more intense, Finn moved from his seat to the space beside
Ailbhe that Isiah had left to go talk with one of Esme's sisters.

"You alright?" He asked, sitting in close to her so their shoulders were against each other.

Nodding, Ailbhe tilted her cup towards her lips again to hide her smile. She was glad he had come to sit with her. She was worried their kiss earlier was going to make things awkward.

"Congratulations Mr Shelby I do believe you are the finest rider in all of England" She joked, putting on a posh accent and batting her eyelashes at him.

He rolled his eyes, scoffing and nudging her playfully "Shut up Alv" he laughed.

She felt a flutter when he nudged her, just his elbow brushing off her side and she felt funny.

"Well I remember beating you on several occasions this Summer Finn boy " she whispered, leaning in so nobody else would hear.

It was true. This summer, while Finn trained and Ailbhe helped, she had beaten him on three occasions on the race track behind the cut.