88.

Arthur wasn't known for his timekeeping but he knew how much it vexed Ailbhe when he was late so he always made that effort. Not this morning apparently. Ailbhe was still there waiting for him after another twenty minutes so she gave up and decided to go look for him.

Tommy had asked her to go through the books with Arthur one more time. While Niall's mathematics was quite poor, he managed to keep his pubs in order including their books. The Garrison, under Arthur's management was not so lucky. The books were appalling mainly because Arthur consistently forgot to write anything down and when he did, his addition was usually wrong.

She phoned the house on Watery Lane and the office but there was no sign of him so she went to the Garrison, hoping he would be in the office upstairs and not passed out in one of the booths although the latter seemed more likely these days.

The Garrison was empty of course, it was too early for patrons and the door was locked but Ailbhe had a key so she let herself in the back.

"Arthur!" She called out when she saw him asleep on one of the booth's cushions.

Mickey was already behind the bar, sweeping and gathering the broken glass, trying to tidy the place up before another band of men came tonight to wreak havoc again undoubtedly.

"Morning Miss Kennedy" He nodded politely, that nervous smile on his face.

"Good morning, Mickey" she sighed, seeing that Arthur wasn't budging.

Arthur was fast asleep, an empty bottle beside him and the mess from the night before strewn about, mainly little blue bottles. His mouth was wide open, the only noise being his snoring and the ticking clock.

"Arthur!" She called out again but like his brother Finn, Arthur slept like the dead.

She threw her gloves and bag onto the bar, grabbing a glass of clear liquid that could have been water or vodka, she wasn't sure. There was only a little bit in the bottom of the glass so she gave him one last chance, calling his name before letting it tip over his face. He shot awake, sitting up and spluttering, flailing his arms about and reaching for his gun until he saw Ailbhe standing over him.

"Fucking hell, Ailbhe" He groaned, sitting up and squinting against the light.

"You were meant to meet me twenty minutes ago, Arthur" She reminded him, a stern look on her face but the longer she looked at him, the more it morphed into pity. Arthur was a mess.

"Sorry, sister... must have forgotten what time it was" He mumbled, getting to his feet and almost falling and stumbling only for Ailbhe catching his arm and steadying him.

It seemed more likely that he forgot what day it was with how much it seemed that he had drank.

"Arthur, are you alright?" She asked, watching as he held both arms out and looked close to falling again.

He took a moment, opening his eyes properly and regaining his balance. But he ignored her question, he wouldn't even know where to start.

"Let me just get changed and I'll get the books" He sighed, remembering why Ailbhe had been sent in the first place.

He felt like a junior worker getting told off and brought in front of the boss to right his wrongs but he had to admit defeat. He couldn't handle the place alone, not without some help and Ailbhe could help. And she was the type to do it quietly without any trace of mocking.

Tommy had seen the books and forms Finn filled out. He noticed Ailbhe's neat handwriting and her flair for writing that gave away Finn's little helper. Finn couldn't have done it on his own and Ailbhe had clearly helped him out, without saying a word. Polly had laughed when she saw it, knowing that for all their falling in and falling out, Ailbhe and Finn really loved each other.

Ailbhe watched Arthur lumber towards the stairs, grabbing onto the banister to steady himself.

Mickey tried not to stare but people generally did stare at Ailbhe Kennedy. He noticed how she watched Arthur, an air of worry about her and concern etched onto her pretty face until she noticed Mickey's gaze and then she seemed to just wipe it off. She looked back at Mickey and pulled an almost steady smile onto her lips. Whatever else about Ailbhe Kennedy, she was a hell of an actress.

"I'm sorry if he's been any trouble, Mickey" She apologised for him, knowing that Arthur wouldn't do it himself.

Arthur had been the one to scold Finn for doing exactly what he had just done a while back and yet Arthur wouldn't see anything wrong.

"No it's fine, Miss Kennedy, it's... fine" He stammered, clearly intimidated and nervous around her.

People said she was half woman half witch, that she could read people, but Mickey didn't want to believe it, not when he held secrets of his own.

The telephone ringing thankfully gave him an excuse to look away from and busy his nervous hands.

Ailbhe gathered Arthur's jacket and shirt that was thrown to the ground as Mickey answered the phone, but she didn't have to busy herself for long because he called her.

"It's for you, Miss" He nodded towards her, holding out the receiver.

Ailbhe looked surprised. Who would phone for her at the Garrison? Someone who clearly had an urgent need to speak with her.

"Hello?" She answered, holding up the phone to her ear as Mickey turned away again and went back to sweeping.

A woman's voice, thick with an Irish accent and relief flowed into Ailbhe's ear.

"Oh Ailbhe, thank God I got ahold of you!"

The woman sighed in relief. Ailbhe felt like the woman's voice pulled her back in time almost, back to a long time ago when everything was very different.

"Maggie?" Ailbhe gasped, turning her back to the counter and not sure it could be even real.

Maggie Brennan hadn't reached out to Ailbhe since she was dropped at the train station heading towards Scotland. Ailbhe had told her to disappear, get a new name and identity, to drop off the face of the Earth as Maggie Brennan and become someone else. It was the only way Ailbhe could ensure she was safe.

Ailbhe had often wondered about her, wondered where she was and what had become of her. But all Ailbhe knew for sure was that Maggie hadn't been caught by the police. Whatever else, Ailbhe just hoped no news was good news.

"Ailbhe! It's me!" She sighed back, glad to hear her old friend was still alive and well.

Ailbhe could feel her heart thumping, it felt strange to hear her voice again after so long.

"What is it? Are you alright?" Ailbhe asked, worrying that the only reason Maggie was calling that she was in trouble again.

"I'm fine, we're fine. I'm in Liverpool... I'm going to America well... we're going to America, but I just wanted to let you know... to say thank you for everything"

The woman's emotion could be felt through the phone. Ailbhe had saved her life by helping her escape, had given her the chance to run and to make a life for herself. She was in Liverpool, ready to sail but she just couldn't leave without speaking to her hero, without thanking her. She had heard that Ailbhe hadn't been arrested nor gotten into trouble, but she was sure that there were other consequences.

She could never have known that these consequences meant holding Ailbhe and her family practically at ransom for the fascist dreams of Oswald Mosley. But Ailbhe didn't regret it.

"We?" Ailbhe asked, having heard Maggie's reference.

The happiness in her voice was palpable when she replied.

"Me and my family... my husband and our son... Frankie is almost four months old"

Ailbhe felt herself get emotional. Maggie had a baby and a husband, Maggie had a life and she was going to live it in America and be free.

Maggie didn't take it to heart when the line was quiet. She knew that Ailbhe was happy for her, was so glad to hear from her after all this time.

"I just had to say thank you, Alv" She spoke again.

Ailbhe clutched the receiver tightly when she heard noises on Maggie's line, a little baby's fussing and a man's voice.

"I have to go...Thank you Ailbhe! Goodbye" the voice sounded over the phone before the line disconnected and Ailbhe didn't have a chance to reply but there weren't words to describe it.

Ailbhe hung up the phone, a sort of glowing feeling in her chest. Maggie was safe and well, Maggie had a family of her own and Ailbhe was glad she had helped her.

Arthur bounded back into the room, his face washed and a new suit on his back. He looked a lot better but Arthur almost always looked a little rough and ready.

"Who was that?" He asked, nodding towards the phone that Ailbhe had just hung up and passed back towards Mickey.

"Just an old friend" She replied, holding out her arms and letting Arthur pass the books into them.

She couldn't stop thinking about Maggie, having a baby and a husband now. She found herself starting to think that maybe people could have normal lives after a war, after everything was said and done maybe people could hang up the guns and swap them for a pram and a white picket fence. Maybe there was a life out there after they had given up the cutthroat and harsh lives they lived now. But would Ailbhe ever want that? She wasn't sure. Mainly because she wasn't sure they'd ever finish this war. Their fight never seemed to end.