36.

Ailbhe was finishing the hem of a trousers belonging to Niall when she was given the fright of her life. A car horn blared through Watery Lane and almost made the windows shake in the panes. She put down her work and went straight to the door. She knew who it was already. They had been expecting Alfie all morning. Ailbhe had stopped her mother’s business after she had passed away, they had no need for the extra money but she sewed and mended her family’s clothes as a favour since she had always liked doing it, she found it therapeutic and an excuse to sit in the quiet and not be disturbed.

She stepped out into the cold air of Birmingham and saw Alfie and his car outside her door. Liam was closely behind her, his dealings with Alfie in Camden Town had made him one of the few Shelbys who Alfie hadn’t tried to have killed and therefore Liam still found him quite amusing.

“Good morning Alfie” Liam spoke up once they stood in front of him and only then did he let up on the car horn.

“Well, it was” Alfie stepped forward, scrubbing his beard with his fist “And then we arrived in this shit hole.”

Ailbhe felt a smile tug at her lips, she too always found Alfie quite amusing despite knowing he was perhaps one of the most dangerous men she knew. There was something utterly dynamic about him, completely unpredictable even to Ailbhe.

“This part of your country really is not fit for human life” He exclaimed, his unique accent and voice so soft and yet menacing.

“Not our country Mr Solomons” Ailbhe interjected, tilting her head at him.

Alfie laughed, a rare occasion but he rattled out a dry and short laugh that Ailbhe didn’t even know if it was genuine.

“That is true Miss Kennedy isn’t it?"

Alfie Solomons had enough drinks with Liam Kennedy to understand England and Ireland were not the same country, nor would it ever be again if the Kennedy's (especially their sister) had anything to do about it. Alfie didn't have much time for Niall Kennedy, finding him a little dull for his tastes with his sullen looks and lack of chat. But Liam Kennedy, he was a different story. He was unpredictable and clever, he bordered on reckless and was most at ease in chaos and trickery.

Alfie had never had much dealings with their sister, a firey little thing he was sure with her intense stare and knowing smile that let you think she was always ten steps ahead.

"Now I assume it’s not you they intend to send to fight this fucking beast of mine”

He laughed, turning serious quickly and pointing back at the giant fighter he had brought.

Before Ailbhe could even respond, Alfie interjected.

“Although from what I hear you can hold you own, a butter knife was it?” He asked, his mad eyes looking into hers.

She shook her head, a slight smile on her lips knowing that word had spread of her brush with the Italians.

“Letter opener” She corrected him, noticing how he never reacted to anything.

Ailbhe could read anyone, but Alfie Solomons was next level. He never reacted, never showed what he was thinking. But he nodded slowly, eyes wide as he listened to her not showing whether he was impressed or disappointed with her attempts to fight back.

The door slammed across the road and Ailbhe saw Tommy stepping out into the street. In his expensive suit he looked completely out of place in Watery Lane and yet it was his own natural environment.

 “Morning Alfie” Tommy nodded, putting his hands into his pockets and nodding in the giant man behind Alfie’s direction “This must be Goliath”.

  Ailbhe looked him up and down. He was ginormous, with shoulders as broad as a doorway and fists the size of footballs. Ailbhe knew Bonnie was good but she wasn’t sure he was that good.

“Ailbhe, Finn wants a word with you” Tommy nodded at Ailbhe, placing a cigarette between his lips and setting off in the direction of Tommy’s secret distillery with Alfie, his men and Liam in tow.

Finn was staying in the old Shelby house as usual these days and Ailbhe let herself in through the betting shop. It was still early and only Scudboat was in, checking yesterday’s takings.

“Morning Scudboat” She called, heading for the door that joined to the rest of the house.

She heard him mumble back something along the lines of ‘Morning love’. He was hungover and barely awake but Ailbhe knew if she had been an Italian or someone with a threat, he would have woken up much quicker.

"Morning Charlie!" She said as she pressed a kiss to the little boy's head who was busy playing with coloured blocks someone must have dug out for him.