48.

They were finally safe; they had no more enemies but Ailbhe had been around for long enough to know that the next obstacle was only waiting in the wings for them. But they could enjoy the peace, while it lasted. The night had been full of speeches, laughter and toasts to their family. It was a joyous occasion and by the time it was coming to an end, the men had disappeared out into the dark. Ailbhe didn’t know what they were doing, nor did she really care as long as they made sure the guns were kept pointing at the targets and not at each other. They could still hear the occasional roar of laughter or gunshot, glass breaking and whooping of the brothers but the women took no notice.

They sat in the smaller drawing room, preferring the smaller rooms that were simply warmer and not because they were more fitting to Ada’s politics.

“I thought we’d made you a socialist Ailbhe!” Ada poked fun at her, taking the seat opposite her by the fire and next to Aunt Pol.

Ailbhe stayed quiet for a moment. Her politics had become a lot more personal, much like Ada. Ireland’s fight for freedom was still in motion across the water but it seemed so far away Ailbhe could barely keep up. Her own family’s fight for freedom had taken all her attention. But while Ireland’s wars had officially stopped, the real war was far from over. Ordinary men and women still fought for independence, a real independent republic and it was a dream Ailbhe hoped for too someday.

“How can you be an Irish republican, a socialist and a nationalist all at once?” Lizzie asked, her eyes tired as she settled into the sofa, tucking her feet beneath her and leaving her heeled shoes thrown to one side.

The women laughed, the whiskey loosening them up and making them relax more. Ailbhe wasn’t sure what she was anymore. She hadn’t been to a meeting about Ireland in years, knowing that Tommy would find out and most likely lose his temper with her. But it was still in her heart, the cause being important to her and she felt the urge to fight for it but she had been told to drop it. And what could an eighteen-year-old gangster do from Birmingham?

“Fuck politics” Polly scoffed, rolling her eyes and smiling.

As a woman and a previous member of the working class who was breaking every glass ceiling that appeared, she had very little time for the establishment that ran their country. But it was that establishment that was destroying Ailbhe’s homeland.

Ailbhe stayed quiet. She had no desire to argue with her family, especially not when she knew they wouldn’t ever listen to her reasons. Ireland wasn’t a lot cause; she knew it in her heart but they wouldn’t listen yet.

It was late when they called it a night and went to bed, showed to the rooms prepared by Frances who had put them in the dozens of spare bedrooms in the house. Ailbhe was exhausted, tired from the night before and everything else that had happened that night. She slipped out of her dress, leaving it on the back of a chair and brushing her hair while she sat in bed. The quiet crackling of the fire and tick of the clock had almost put her to sleep when she heard her door opening. She barely had to open her eyes to know it was Finn, she could feel his presence and smell his cologne.

“You asleep?” He whispered, creeping in towards her bed.

She kept her eyes closed, tucked down into the bed and smiled slightly

“Not anymore” she whispered back, opening her eyes and looking at him. He was standing in front of the bed, closing the distance between them and squatting down beside the head of her bed. He was only a few inches from her face, his hand resting on her body covered in thick blankets. He was half dressed, still wearing his trousers but his braces hung off his hips and his shirt was completely unbuttoned.

“Thought I’d come to say good night” He whispered, keeping his voice low despite the thick walls and shut door between them and the rest of their family.

His eyes were the gorgeous brown they always were but they were a little glassy, his cheeks rosy and his hair wild. He was drunk. The boys had been outside doing God knows what with their guns and their egos but Finn had come to say good night. She felt herself smiling, a hand slipping out from under the blankets and reaching out to his face. The way he looked at her, it was enough to make her feel suddenly warm. He looked at her like she was the prettiest thing he’d ever seen and the way his eyes flicked down to her lips like all he wanted was her lips on his was enough for Ailbhe to make a decision.

She rolled her eyes but there was a genuine smile on her lips as she pushed over in the bed.

“Come on, get in” she sighed dramatically, lifting the covers and pulling him in.

The way Finn grinned triumphantly; it was clear he had gotten exactly what he wanted.

“But you have to go early, before anyone wakes up!” She warned him but she was already forgetting what she had said as he settled behind her, his arms wrapping around her small, warm body and pulling her in against him.

He settled in, their bodies fitting together easily and his chin resting on her shoulder. He tilted his head, pressing his lips to the warm skin of her neck. While he loved spending time with his brothers and his family, he had hoped this moment would come. It was her company and touch he craved more and more every day.

“Ailbhe?” He whispered into the dark, knowing she was almost back asleep when he spoke.

“What?” She sighed, snapping slightly.

“I love you” he giggled, an actual giggle from a Peaky Blinder that sounded both ridiculous and heart-warming.

“I know” she laughed back as the kisses he pressed to her neck again and again tickled.

It felt so innocent, so young and care free. It felt like they were just two eighteen-year-olds, two kids in love. And they were, but they lived in an adult world and these moments were rare and so, Ailbhe cherished every one they got.