40.

Ailbhe had seen her fair share of fights before. She grew up in Small Heath with Shelbys for brothers so, of course she had seen fights. But she had never been to one like this.

She had to admit she was impressed. It was spectacular. They had put together an almost arena like space with a raised boxing ring for the fight. It was in an old cinema that Tommy got a hold of for the night. The crowd was huge, filling up all of the seats and even packed into the standing areas. It was a big night for everyone, especially Shelby Company Ltd. Ailbhe had seen Bonnie’s face when he approached the ring, he was going to win. She absolutely knew it. But she still couldn’t shake the bad feeling in her stomach, Arthur felt it too. She knew it but Tommy had told them it was nothing, just nerves and their histories upsetting them. But the look Arthur gave her, she knew it was real. They both did.

She had gotten the nervous feeling in her tummy while she got dressed and it didn’t go away while she did her hair, nor when she applied her make up, not even when Lizzie, Polly, Ada and Linda arrived. They were all being brought to the fight together by Scudboat and two other Peaky boys who had been told to not let a single person near them.

She had spotted Finn when they arrived at the fight, waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs with Isiah. Finn was one of the head bookmakers for the Shelby Company now so he had to make sure the event ran smoothly, but he had wanted to see Ailbhe first.

“Shit, you look incredible” he had sighed, leaning in and pressing a kiss to her cheek, still excited by the idea they could do things like that in public.

She had to admit she liked how she looked that night too, with her red lipstick and dark eyes. She had gotten her dress from London, a white dress that shimmered in the light and clung to her body just enough. It had a low back and thin long straps but she held a fur wrap over her shoulders so her brothers wouldn’t tell her to cover up. She noticed Finn’s eyes dropping down and sweeping over her body and it made her smile, she had wanted him to like it. He stood beside her, saying hello to Lizzie and the other women but his hand was on Ailbhe’s back, his fingers almost tickling the exposed skin and leaving goose bumps behind.

She hadn’t seen him since the morning before when she had snuck back into her house. She and Finn had slept soundly in his new bed, glad of the company. She woke wrapped around him, feeling more content than ever. Finn held onto her, not wanting to let her go but she had dragged herself out of bed to get dressed.

 Her heart warmed when she would think of how he looked at her the next morning, like she was the prettiest thing he had ever seen. She had been tying her bralette and fixing her shorts when she asked him what he was staring at. He just shook his head, saying ‘nothing!’ but really, he knew that in that moment, he was looking at his everything.

“You sneak back in alright this morning?” He asked, keeping his voice low but the other women were already too busy talking amongst themselves.

“Niall never came home and Liam passed out in Tommy’s old room at your house” She told him, relieved to know the house was empty when she had snuck back in.

Her brothers hadn’t even realised she had been missing for the night, the best night of her life.

“How’s he feeling?” She asked him, his hand still resting on her back.

“He’s going to take it to the fourth round before knock out.” Finn told her, his hands taking a cigarette out.

Ailbhe could tell there was something Finn was nervous about. It was a big responsibility tonight, he was head bookmaker now and it was up to him to make sure they made money, proper money.

“I’ll make you a deal” she whispered, taking a puff of his cigarette and placing it back between his lips “If Bonnie wins after four rounds, I’ll let you win tonight too, as many rounds as you like” She grinned, her tongue peeking out between her teeth at the side.

The way his eyes lit up and his smirk tugged at his lips, she knew she had relaxed him a bit.

“Alright, I’ve got to get back there. I’ll see you after?” He nodded, his hand still firmly on her back.

She nodded, smiling and turning back to the ladies once they’d left.

“Come on, let’s get a drink before it starts” Polly sighed, leading them away from the crowd of shouting men.

Polly had been the least excited for the fight. She spent most of her time worrying about Michael and trying to convince Tommy he wasn’t a traitor. Ailbhe on the other hand had been looking forward to it, despite her anxious butterflies. They had been cooped up in their houses, not allowed out since Ailbhe’s birthday weeks prior.

From the beginning of the fight, Ailbhe didn’t like it. Bonnie was getting hits left right and centre, taking blow after blow and only hitting back between hits. For every punch Bonnie landed, Goliath landed three more. It was hard to watch and Ailbhe flinched every time she saw Bonnie take a particularly hard hit. She knew it was all an act, but it must have been an act that hurt.

Ailbhe had spotted Arthur and Niall across the other side of the ring, Niall beckoning her with a  crook of his finger.