72.

She found Arthur in the betting shop, discussing Sunday's runners with Scudboat. There were the usual people milling around but Finn was nowhere to be seen. Ailbhe guessed he was in his office, that was where she usually found him nowadays.

"Hello trouble" He exclaimed when he saw her, all bright colours and smiles among the dark and dreary setting of Small heath. Aberama Gold was right when he said that Ailbhe Kennedy brought something special to their family, something vibrant.

"Hello Arthur, good to have you back" She smiled, craning her head to try see around the corner and hoping to see Finn's familiar shape.

"Good to be back, those fucking Billy Boys play rough" He grumbled, wringing his hat in his hands.

"Tommy needs you in the Garrison, I'll follow you in a minute I just have to tell Finn something" She told him, but neither Arthur nor Scudboat believed her in the slightest.

They knew that Ailbhe missed him, wanting a few minutes with him without the watchful eyes of everyone else.

Knocking on the door of his office, she heard a mumble of a reply and took that as her cue to enter. Poking her head around the door, she spotted him at his desk, his head buried in the books.

"Do you have a spare minute or do I have to make an appointment Mr Shelby?" She asked, feeling the natural smile spread across her lips when he looked up on hearing her voice.

The way his whole face changed, softened and relaxed when he saw her, it made her melt a bit.

She shut the door behind her, closing the distance between them quickly. He pushed back in his seat, leaving space for her to sit up on his desk like she usually did with her feet swinging. He stood up, leaning in so his hands rested on either side of her and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, pulling him in to kiss her impatiently.

He kissed her back slowly and softly at first, feeling the relief wash through his body of being back with her. It didn't feel right being away from her again.

"How did this morning go?" He asked her, against her lips and knowing Tommy and she had met Jimmy McCavern.

He hadn't liked the idea of Ailbhe being there but Tommy had insisted. He seemed to be relying on her more and more these days and Finn worried that more and more involvement meant more and more danger. Especially when it came to Tommy.

She seemed more intent on running her hands down his arms and kissing down his neck than answering the question but he took her chin between his thumb and forefingers, wanting her to tell him.

"It was okay" She shrugged, looking up at him and making him start to lose his train of thought just from the way she looked down at his lips more than in his eyes.

"McCavern is a pig... I'd gladly put a bullet in his head" She added, linking her hands behind Finn's neck and wanting to forget about McCavern and his insinuations and taunts.

"What did he say to you?" Finn asked, knowing Ailbhe wasn't telling him the details because of how she worried he'd react. Undoubtedly, McCavern had said something that would make Finn violate the terms of the white flag.

"Nothing that matters Finn, he'll die when Tommy says so. And it won't be long." She told him, taking his hands in hers and bringing them to her waist, wanting him to forget about McCavern.

His hands gripped onto her, pulling her in against him again and finding her lips with his. She felt his hands trail up, holding her neck and tilting her head up towards him. She had really missed him, even if it had only been a week.

"I have to go Finn" She sighed as he held her neck and tilted it, kissing down the soft skin and into the crook of her neck.

He had really missed her. He didn't realise how long a week could feel when it was away from her. But it was like having withdrawal symptoms when he had to be away from her.

"No you don't" He murmured against her skin, trailing back up towards her lips and rejoining them. He pulled her forwards, towards the edge of the desk and into his body that was aching for her touch.

"Tommy and Arthur are waiting for me and you have a meeting" She reminded him, pulling away from him even though it was the last thing on Earth she wanted to do.

Finn sighed deeply, letting her slip from his grasp and hop off of his desk. That wasn't how he had hoped that would end but he would have to get over it. She was right. He had people waiting and so did she.

"Do you have your gun?" He asked her, knowing that she didn't.

She looked back at him, eyebrows furrowed and sighed.

"No Finn, I don't have a gun to go from here to The Garrison"

She was all for protecting herself but she doubted she needed one to walk a few hundred steps in Small heath in broad daylight.

"Take mine, and come back when you're done" he told her, pulling it from his harness and passing it into her hand.

She looked like she was going to argue for a moment but chose not to, pushing it into her handbag and nodding.

"I'll come straight back" She promised him as he threw himself back into his chair and trying to ignore the desire and excitement he had felt moments before that weren't going anywhere.

"Alright" he sighed, grabbing a cigarette. It was all that he had to satisfy himself now she had to go.

"I love you" she laughed, leaning in and kissing him again, twice for good measure and then on the cheek before there was a knock at the door. It was Scudboat, there were people waiting to see Finn and he knew Ailbhe was in there distracting him.

"I love you" he whispered back, holding her just inches away from his face and telling her "Come straight back when you're done".