63.

Ada met her at the train station, bringing her to the House of Parliament where Tommy was speaking that afternoon. Ada often sat in on meetings with Tommy, advising him on political moves and strategies. She hadn’t forgotten all her socialist ideals she was doing well in the company. She liked helping Tommy with his politics. She felt like by helping Tommy and being his advisor, she could keep a hand on the wheel, steering in the best direction.

“Who’d have thought it? Ailbhe Kennedy in the Houses of Parliament” Ada had joked when Ailbhe and her made their way towards the gallery.

Ailbhe had to laugh. It did seem quite ridiculous. She really had no idea why Tommy wanted her there but she knew better than to question it.

“I only ever imagined myself here in handcuffs” she joked, making Ada burst into laughter that she had to hide behind her gloved hand.

Ada reached for the door handle, turning back and giving Ailbhe a playful warning

“Try not to kill any MPs or set fire to the place?” She asked of her, winking and making Ailbhe laugh.

They sat in on the parliament, watching Tommy give his speeches and the other party members too. He spoke about education and mainly the inequality the lack created between social classes. Ailbhe had to admit Tommy was extraordinary, sounding like a real leader.

Ada and Ailbhe met Tommy outside the doors of the gallery where he waited for them nervously. Ailbhe could tell from the way he fumbled with his cigarette case and how his eyes darted around, they weren’t in for an easy nor pleasant meeting.

“We’re about to meet someone and I can’t get a read on him, I don’t understand him or what he wants but we’re going to find out. Alright?”

That was the only explanation he gave. The two women nodded, following him to the pub area where most of the MPs Ailbhe had heard speaking just moments before were sitting and discussing races, horses, sport and anything other than politics.

Tommy halted before pulling open the door, he looked at Ailbhe pointed a finger at her.

“And Ailbhe, no matter what he says. Don’t react” He warned her. That wasn’t going to be easy but she nodded, knowing that the last thing Tommy probably needed was Ailbhe losing her temper.

Tommy led them over to a small round table where a man sat alone, reading a newspaper that he held up in front of his face. On their approach, he dropped the newspaper down, smiling coldly at them that made the hairs on the back of Ailbhe’s neck stand up. She didn’t like him already.

He was tall and relatively strong looking but his tightly combed hair and the rectangular moustache he wore on his face wasn’t handsome. Ailbhe found herself struggling. This man wore a mask, a good one.

“Mr Shelby!” He greeted, standing up so straight it seemed as though there was a rod up the back of his jacket.

“I must say, you sing like a songbird in the House” He complimented, sounding so genuine one would almost believe him.

He reached across the table, holding his hand out and Tommy shook it. But the man was already looking at the two women that Tommy had with him.

“And who are these pretty finches” he asked, making Ailbhe cringe and Ada just stare back at him blankly.

“This is Ailbhe Kennedy, my... whatever Ailbhe is” He failed to explain very well, gesturing towards Ailbhe who took the seat on Tommy’s right.

“And my sister” Tommy gestured towards Ada who took the seat on Tommy’s left.

“Who’s pregnant” she clarified, meaning she wasn’t interested in being anyone’s ‘pretty finch’.

“And dangerous” Tommy added, raising his eyebrows at her as he sat back down.

The man took his seat again, looking around him and seeing that he was surrounded by Shelbys, even if Ailbhe Kennedy didn’t have the name he knew she was more than just a worker. She was a Shelby in every way that counted.

“Oh, we adore dangerous” Mosley commented, not making Ada look any less unimpressed.

“Who’s we?” she asked, not seemed fazed.

As Mosley went off on a tangent, Tommy looked at Ailbhe. He gave her a slight nod, that this was the man he needed to know more about. But Ailbhe already felt like she had her work cut out for her.

“Mr Shelby, you had a horse of that name” Mosley added, bringing Tommy and Ailbhe back into the fold of conversation.

So, Mr Mosley knew about them, more than they perhaps knew about him.

As the waiter passed, Tommy caught his eye and beckoned him over, ordering an Irish whiskey.

“Give him one from my bottle and one for myself” Mosley asked, keeping his eyes on Tommy “In fact, bring the bottle.”

He turned to Ailbhe, looking her in the eye for the first time.

“And for the ladies?” he asked, looking from Ailbhe to Ada and back to Ailbhe again.

“Irish whiskey for me too” she nodded, knowing that Mosley already must have quite the background check on Thomas and therefore knew that the Kennedy family were Irish. If he hadn’t known it, he did as soon as he heard her accent.

“And this lady?” he asked, turning to Ada who snapped back, uninterestedly

“Isn’t thirsty, how’d you know about the horse?”

Ada wasn’t quite as subtle at getting information as Ailbhe but they needed both.

Mosley seemed taken aback for a moment, bouncing back quickly as he looked to Tommy to answer the question.

“We have a mutual acquaintance, May Carleton” He clarified.

Of course. May Carleton was Birmingham’s higher society and Mr Mosley only associated with people of his own rank. The only people of that rank who knew details about the Shelby’s was May.

“When I asked about you, she said, Oh my goodness where do I begin?” He explained, the shadow of a smile on his lips that unnerved Ailbhe.

Tommy seemed unfazed as always.

“And why were you asking after me?” he enquired.

“Because, as I have said, I adore dangerous” he answered, making sure he looked Ailbhe straight in the eyes when he said it.

She didn’t like the way he looked at her, not one bit. It was the way a starving dog might look at its first meal in days. He did adore dangerous and Ailbhe Kennedy looked exactly the type of tough and tenacious women he liked to have silenced in his bed.

“And where did she begin?” Ada asked, noticing that Ailbhe was growing more uncomfortable by the second.

Mr Mosley however wasn’t.

“You know I was rather hoping we might have this meeting alone” He sniped, looking only at Tommy now.

But Tommy still seemed as cool as a breeze.

“I find I’m rarely ever alone Mr Mosley. My sisters are my advisors” he retorted, nodding his head at them.

Ada was growing impatient. She had been against this meeting from the start and Ailbhe didn’t like it one bit either.

“And my advice just now was, ‘Don’t meet Mr Mosley’” She snapped.

Mosley’s dark eyes stared into Ada’s.

“Because I am dangerous?” He asked, the hint of amusement on his face.

“No” Tommy answered for her, feeling his sisters’ impatience “What is it you are impatient for, Mr Mosley?”

He didn’t take his eyes off Ada, staring her down even as he spoke.

“I’m impatient for my fucking whiskey” he snapped, slamming his hand down on the table and screaming the bartenders name until he rushed.

Mosley finally tore his eyes away from Ada and looked back at Tommy.

“May Carleton spoke about you the way I imagine one might about a party they barely remember, where you crash the car into the dovecote and live on champagne and cocaine for three whole days”

He explained, turning to Ada again, asking

“You know that kind of party?”

Ada looked back at him, a bored and tired expression on her pretty face as she answered

“Only three days?”

He looked almost impressed, a small smirk appearing on his face as he turned his attention to Ailbhe.

“I bet you know that kind of party, I’ve heard a lot about the wildling Ailbhe Kennedy”

Ailbhe didn’t like him. She didn’t like him one bit and she was glad that Finn wasn’t there because if he saw the way Mosley was looking at her, he would probably do something very stupid to do in a room full of MPs.

Ailbhe thanked God that the drinks arrived then, breaking the conversation and breaking Mosley’s intense gaze. Tommy reached forward, pouring out the whiskey for them while replying

“My sister advised against meeting you because it appears you are moving away from the party in a different direction”

Ailbhe had heard Tommy’s speeches and knew of his politics. Tommy was a member of the Labour party, a socialist. But Mr Mosley clearly was moving away from these ideals.

“And which direction is that?” He asked, playing dumb but Ailbhe knew he was anything but.

“Towards fascism” Ada snapped, tired of his games and his playing on their words.

Ada had had a bad feeling about meeting this man. He was bad news and she didn’t need any of Ailbhe’s second sight or voices to tell her that this man was dangerous.

He looked back at Tommy, his eyes wide and so dark they seemed almost black. There was no real emotion there, nothing readable or discernible.

“We are the people and we have had enough” he articulated, quoting a line from Tommy’s speech earlier.

“I thought that was excellent” he smiled, a cold and emotionless smile as he pointed a finger across the table “In which direction are you heading, Mr Shelby?”

Tommy shrugged, an easy air of confidence that Ailbhe knew to be false across his face,

“I am my own revolution”

He always had been.

“And you prefer Irish to Scotch” he acknowledged and Ailbhe got the feeling he wasn’t talking only about whiskey anymore.

“As do I” he enunciated, looking to Ailbhe and holding her gaze, his eyes trailing down her body “Like all things regarding Ireland, it is complex, yes?”

Tommy didn’t answer. He knew Mosley was trying to goad him, to bait him. Ogling his sisters was one thing but starting to talk as though he was going to act on it was another. But he also just hoped Ailbhe could keep her temper in check. It was as bad as her brothers’ these days.

“There’s something... tempting about Ireland” Mosley stated, his eyes never leaving Ailbhe and looking at her in a way that made her uncomfortable, made her feel almost violated. But she didn’t let it show, she kept her eyes steely and hard, not wanting Mosley to think he could get under her skin.

“Where do you stand on the Irish question, Mr Shelby?” He asked, knowing Thomas Shelby didn’t give up information without being asked outright.

“Never been asked it” Tommy admitted, shaking his head uninterestedly.

Ailbhe knew that to be untrue. She had asked him, many times. But he always answered the same. The only fight for independence he cared for was the fight they had in Small heath.

“Then perhaps it’s time you were”

Ailbhe didn’t like the way Mosley looked at her, she didn’t like the way he brought up Ireland nor how he acted as though he knew more about them than they would ever know.

“Tommy, I am the people and I have had enough” Ada announced, sick of the boys and wanting to go home. She didn’t like the direction the conversation was heading especially with Ailbhe involved.

She stood up, standing back as if readying herself to leave. Tommy just looked at her for a moment, noticing how Ailbhe stayed sat. She wanted to hear what Mosley had to say about her fellow countrymen and women and what horrific plan he had in mind to twist the arm of the Irish government to bring Ireland back into the British Empire.

“We’re looking for someone to begin a dialogue with certain elements of Belfast with whom we don’t officially have any dealings”

Mosley clarified. Whatever side he was going to pick in Ireland, Ailbhe doubted it would be one she would want to side with him on.

“I’ll be too busy singing in the House” Tommy remarked, despite Mosley’s dangling a carrot.

“It would involve a promotion...” He tried to entice Tommy but perhaps that wasn’t the incentive he needed.

Ailbhe felt Mosley focusing on her again. She looked back, as he watched her with a devilish smile as he addressed her

“Miss Kennedy perhaps you would have some contacts we could use? Wouldn’t you like to see your homeland be a part of the mighty British empire again?”

In fact, there was nothing she would like to see less in this world. Ireland deserved her freedom, to have her own government, her own place in the world for her language, her culture and history. Too much had already been taken from Ireland by Britain but this was their chance to let Ireland go, let her be free and try and right the ancient wrongs they had committed throughout history.

“Birmingham is my concern” Tommy announced, standing up. He knew Ailbhe would have something to say if Mosley kept taunting her. Ailbhe did the same, standing up. She didn’t want Mosley looking at her for a moment longer.

“Ireland has given me three brothers and a sister for which I give thanks but apart from that it bores me Mr Mosley” He admitted tilting his glass towards Ailbhe’s.

“Sláinte” Ailbhe toasted Mosley, looking him in the eye as she tipped her glass off Tommy’s and knocked it back her throat.

She gave him one of her most innocent smiles as she said good evening and turned away from him, relieved to be away from the half man half serpent that sat before her. She kept her mouth shut until they were outside, until they were clear of listening ears. But Ailbhe found it hard to keep her cool.

“What the fuck was that about Tom?” she hissed, trying not to raise her voice as they strode away from the busier sections of the hallways.

Tommy had lost the calm expression he had been wearing all through the meeting.

“Ireland, it’s been Ireland’s day all fucking day long” He muttered, nodding at Ailbhe who agreed.

From Michael getting taken off the boat in Belfast by Captain Swing and the IRA and now Mr Mosley’s interest. Ailbhe worried that Mosley knew about Ailbhe’s own history with the IRA, that her father was an active rebel who died for his involvement and how she herself had gotten involved too.

“Ada, go home and start calling anyone who had dealings with Shelby Company Ltd while you were in Boston, ask them about Michael”

He told her, his tone as erratic and strange as his mood since he had come out of the meeting. It had shaken him, Ailbhe knew it.

“Ask them what about him? I thought Polly said she believed him” Ada asked, confusion across her face as she looked between Ailbhe and Tommy.

Ailbhe shook her head.

“Ask them about who he was meeting, what appointments he made, what kind of deals he made and with who” She told Ada, making sure Ada checked anyone in Boston while Ailbhe had been raking through their contacts in New York.

“Ask ‘em especially about people he’s met from Glasgow or Belfast” Tommy clarified, turning away from them and pacing again.

“Why? Tommy! Polly said Michael was telling the truth!” Ada snapped, losing her patience with the poor communicator that was Thomas Shelby.

Ailbhe stepped in, letting Tommy keep pacing and reach for a cigarette.

“Polly was always going to believe Michael, she had to. I don’t think he’s telling the truth Ada. I don’t trust him, and I don’t trust Gina either” She told Ada, keeping her voice hushed.

Ada could see the similarities in them, in both Tommy and Ailbhe and why they always seemed to take each other’s sides. Somehow in their twisted heads they understood each other and thought on a higher level but that also meant they were on their own a lot of the time up there. And even Ailbhe was never quite as quick as Tommy.

“Tommy, Alv. Why don’t you come back with me? Tom you can play chess with Karl, I’ll make these calls and you can listen in. You can both drive home tomorrow”

But Tommy was beyond reason and rationality. Mosley had gotten under his skin, into his head and kicked up a storm where Tommy was now trying to understand it all. Ailbhe had to admit, her own mind felt frazzled now too.

“Then that bastard starts talking about Irish whiskey, what the fuck does he know? Eh?” Tommy snapped, his mind working too quick for his mouth to make sense. Ailbhe could see Ada getting lost and starting to get frustrated but it was no use. No one would make sense of Tommy like this.

“More than me Tommy! What are you talking about?” She snapped, keeping her voice more hushed now.

Tommy spun around, looking at the two women he called his sisters and found himself explaining.

“I’m talking about an empty chair, my chair. My throne. People think that I’m gonna fall so they start behaving in a different way around here!”

Ailbhe knew that Tommy had been having dreams that meant he couldn’t sleep. Lizzie had mentioned it in one of her letters and Ailbhe had noticed that Tommy always answered her calls from New York, no matter the time he was always awake.

“Who thinks that Tommy?” Ada asked, concern etched on her face as she felt like she was watching her brother unravel.

“They’re starting to circle, who’s going to take over. Someone has to take the crown!” He whispered, all wide eyes and jittery hands

“Linda, she wants some for Arthur”

Ailbhe wasn’t sure Arthur wanted it, he knew he wasn’t the boss and he would never let anything happen to Tommy.

“Aberama Gold”

Another theory Ailbhe wasn’t so sure of. Aberama Gold cared not for crowns or titles.

“People in the North”

Despite Changretta ruining a lot of the gangs in the North, taking down Sabini’s, Solomon’s, Titanics, many had risen up again. It was a possibility.

“Michael...”

There it was. The theory Ailbhe would put her money on, not that she had much left thanks to Michael.

“Just go home, make those calls” He asked of Ada, grabbing her arm and squeezing it.

Before she could try convince them to stay again, Tommy had grabbed Ailbhe’s arm and beckoned her to fall into step beside him. He kept hold of her arm as they walked, as if he was worried someone would decide Ailbhe wasn’t pardoned at all and would take her away from them.

“Tommy, if he wants to make contact with Belfast, with UVF and protestants. There are closer ports of call than Belfast” Ailbhe told him, as she quickened her steps to make sure they were in synch.

“I know...” He nodded, having feared that was what she would say.

“Tommy if the Billy Boys start moving into our territory, if they want a war...” Ailbhe didn’t finish her sentence. It didn’t bear thinking about when the results could be deadly.

“I know Alv...” Tommy nodded, avoiding her eyes for fear she’d see the anxiety and nerves.

She was right. If the Billy Boys came down South and started a war, a lot of blood would be spilt and a war with another gang was the last thing he needed when he could barely trust members of his own family anymore.

He had thought that the Wall St Crash was what Ailbhe had been having dreams about, bad feelings and instincts. He had hoped that was the answer. But it wasn't. Something else was coming, something perhaps even worse.