C h a p t e r ♪ 24

c h a p t e r  2 4

h y u n j i n' s   l a s t   l e t t e r

°°°

Harmony,

I just got back from the church today and I in there I prayed and prayed that you will get your vision as soon as possible, I wrote this note because I didn't know how to tell this in person--

h y u n j i n' s   p o v
~11 years ago~

It's my 7th month here in the hospital,  I don't like it here it's full of sad old people plus nurses always chase after me to drink those disgusting candies.

But I'm not the only one stuck in here there's many children that also want to go back to school, spend time with their parents, so for us not to be down on every occasion we would play a game, the staff would arrange it and all of the children is required to join, I mean who wouldn't like games?

"OK this game requires two people in teams got it? Since all of us are even, I want you to pick  your teammate" that lady in the white coat said, while everyone was busy partnering up with everyone, I was just there standing, I forgot I don't know anyone here except the guy that chases me.

"OK is everyone ready?" When the lady said that I was about to go back to my seat since there's no way I can join this game on my own but--

"Hey, can we be partners?" a saw a girl with brown eyes with a missing tooth offering her hand.

"Sure"

"What's your name?"

"I'm Harmony"

°°°

Harmony made me liked the place I was in, ever since that day we together would spend time with each other and  would hide in different corners of the hospital, and laugh whenever we see that nurse chasing after us.

Thanks to her, I began to get used in the life around here, whenever I would get needles she would come to my hospital room and will play with me all day and tell amazing stories, we basically live every day like that.

Since I didn't like the food here she would always force me to eat all of it but I wouldn't dare to it was gross.

"My mom said if you eat these you'll be discharged quickly so I always finish it and you should do the same."

"No, you eat it" I didn't get to finish everything on my plate.

Whenever I would feel sad because I miss my parents she would leave me a note.

Sticky note #1

Don't be sad, if you'll be like that I won't have friends anymore.

There were pretty hard days for the both of us, seeing each other struggling with our own sickness, you see I have case of Fatal Familial Insomnia while Harmony had trouble breathing.

Whenever there were nights I felt lonely because I can't sleep she will always be there to accompany me, and bring me lots of toys which we'll both play all night, those were the days I loved because of Harmony.

But there we happy days as well I noticed that Harmony's voice is no joke, she had an amazing voice we would sing together not caring about the people around us.

Since Harmony was a ball of sunshine, she made friends easily in this hospital, but I didn't  have any except for her, so when I heard from the nurses that she was being discharged my childish emotions took over me.

I cried and cried knowing that she'll be leavingI regret being anger that day because of that I didn't get to say goodbye to her.

"Where have you been?" the nurse said, while pushing another kid in a wheelchair.

"Harmony just left" she said and continued with her pace, I quickly rushed to her room and as expected she wasn't there anymore.

I became sad and just held onto Harmony's memories.

"Great job Hyunjin you finished all your food today" The nurse said, but after eating I noticed another sticky note under my table where we would usually color books.

Sticky note #321

Thank you for being my friend, I wish I could sing with you again,
BE WELL.

I will always remember you, all the little noted you gave me, all the happy moments we have.

I was discharge after 9 months and like a normal student I went to middle school and high school when my parents die I thought it was going to be the end of me as well but I remember Harmony's words and those were the only thing keeping me going,

But my condition relapse on my senior year in high school I couldn't sleep like I used to, it's been 1 year and a month since I  can't sleep.

When I can't take it anymore I went to see my doctor again.

"Your parent's death must have triggered your condition Hyunjin, you have an extremely rare genetic disease called fatal familial insomnia (FFI) leads to exhaustion, dementia, coma, and eventually

Death."

°°°

Knowing that my days are now counted I began living with dying but one day in the teacher's room I saw a portfolio about a transferee student and when I saw her.

Harmony!

"Sir is this the new student transfering?"

"Yeah she'll be here in two weeks"

°°°

Finally I can have a reason to live even just a little while, I began writing her notes and place it in her desk everytime before she'll arrive, I'll come early in school, place the note, and wait for her to enter, before entering the classroom myself.

seeing her face while reading it became enough for me, because I didn't want to hurt her because my time left is getting shorter and shorter.

Seeing herb smile everyday became part of my daily routine, I saw how she didn't change and was still a ball of sunshine, when she defended Jane infront of everyone.

I thought about it all night and I think I'm slowly falling for her it's been 7 years what do you expect.

°°°