t h r e e

c h a p t e r  3

Gyeoul walked across campus with her head buried deep on her phone. She scrolled endlessly through the long list of job hirings, quickly eliminating those which required too much time or labor. She is after all, still an undergraduate. Meaning there wasn't much option for her.

With summer fast approaching, she had to make sure that she had something to occupy herself with. She hated the thought of wasting her time doing nothing. She considered taking summer courses but decided against it when she realised she could use the time to gain experience instead.

She could be wrong for this, but at least she'll earn some cash.

She halted in her steps when she finally found something worthwhile amidst the many not-so decent wanted signs on the site.

Private English Tutoring Lessons
70,000 per hour

The gasp she took was practically inevitable. It surprised her that they were willing to pay so much and she even qualified for the description! She wasted no time in contacting the number and copying the e-mail address, making sure that she can send her resume as soon as she can.

She stuffed her phone inside her pockets, ready to continue her journey towards her first class. Upon taking her first step, a hand slamming onto her back caused her to stumble a bit. She spun around but to her surprise found no one. She scanned the area for any signs of possible suspects but everyone seemed to mind their own business, each heading to their own classes.

She shrugged it off and walked towards her building.

•••

Gyeoul stepped out of the elevator with a contented sigh and thought back to her high school days to which she had to take the stairs. She couldn't believe how she managed to climb those things every morning. She silently thanked the heavens for the invention of the lift.

She walked silently along the deserted corridor, taking her sweet time since she was a little too early for her class. The empty hallways did not surprise her since she realised last year –back from when she was still a freshman– that in college, it was either come at the last minute or not at all. She was actually one of those people but it happened that that certain morning, she was awoken by the vicious leaf blower outside her window.

"Just make him come there and I'll stall her at her workplace."

She rounded a corner and abruptly stopped when she saw a figure at the end of the hallway– where the lecture hall was located. She realised that the person was talking on the phone and so she continued her walk. Upon nearing the door, she also realised that it was that boy who had called her 'heartless'.

Minho ended the call with a sigh. "I've got to stop playing cupid with those two and get myself a life." He rubbed his temples, seeming to be tired. The sound of footsteps made him raise his head.

Their eyes met briefly. Gyeoul decided to ignore him and passed by without a word. Before she could slide the door open, he called out a 'hey'. She turned her head, barely raising a questioning brow. The boy approached her, not breaking eye-contact. He said nothing.

He just.. stared.

After a while, she started to feel uncomfortable. She wondered what the hell was up with him?