t w e n t y - t h r e e

c h a p t e r  23

Gyeoul took her time in walking to her first class. It was the first week of her third year in university and she would be lying if she said she was excited for it. There was nothing she wanted more than to finally graduate and leave the campus, knowing that all of the things she was taught; she will never apply in real life. Okay, that was a little unfair. Maybe just most of it.

Fall was nearing making her reach for the extra layers inside her wardrobe. She opted for the stereotypical turtleneck and trench coat. You would see at least three students per 20 feet with the same outfit but that was the least of her worries. If it were her first year, she would be the first to dress up, but being in her third, she was tempted to go in her pyjamas.

As she walked along campus, she saw how the freshmen were glowing with passion and excitement.

That's right. Laugh while you still can.

Digging her hands inside her coat's jacket, she buried half of her face in the turtleneck to hide a yawn.

"Gyeoul-ah!"

Stopping in her tracks, she craned her neck to see a figure jogging towards her. Blinking the drowsiness away, she recognised who it was. "Oh? You're..."

The boy beamed happily with raised brows, waiting for the recognition. As five seconds had passed, he realised that she forgot his name. It was obvious by the way she had her index finger up and the crease between her eyebrows. He pouted, scrunching his nose. "This is the third time we've met and you still don't remember me." The younger sulked.

Gyeoul raised her chin. "No. You're that cute kid... with the dimples, right?" She said vaguely, refusing to admit. "The party-virgin-volleyball-player." She snapped her finger.

The boy sighed as his ears tinted red in embarrassment. "It's Yang Jeongin."

"I knew that."

Jeongin gave an exaggerated nod with the intent of mocking. Gyeoul found it refreshing that he was comfortable enough to give an attitude. She laughed it off.

"But what are you doing here? The kindergarten is across the street." She teased, feigning wonder.

Jeongin frowned. "I'm in college now!" He lifted his school I.D. to her eye level, clearly offended.

Gyeoul returned the exaggerated nod. "Of course you are!" She cheered as if talking to a child.

Another pout. "You're just as mean as Minho."

Without realising, they fell into step together. "Now that's just theatrical." She deadpanned.

"You're right. No one's at his level." Jeongin pursed his lips.

Gyeoul smirked at that, completely agreeing. She recalled a week ago where he left her hanging–yet again, living up to his reputation. Clearly the work of the devil. Although, instead of being frustrated, Gyeoul took it as a challenge. She decided to take that frustration as fuel to give him a taste of his own medicine.

Two can play that game.

Jeongin and Gyeoul also fell into a conversation, exchanging information about themselves. It was brought up that they belong to the same department and was coincidentally going to the same first class. Much to the boy's joy since apparently, his friends had afternoon classes while he was unlucky enough to be blessed with the morning schedule.