f o u r t e e n

c h a p t e r  14

Gyeoul was not sure how long she had been lying there on her bed, glaring at the worksheet. She lied flat on her back, holding the paper over her. Her eyes focused on the words at the upper right corner. The three words mocked her.

Date: Lee Minho

Was he making a pass at her? Or was it just some kind of sick joke? Because last time she checked, they hated each other. Well, not exactly 'hate' per se but they didn't really like each other either. Right?

Gyeoul was quick to hide the paper from Areum, afraid of.. well, she was not sure if there was even what she was afraid of. She had to ask for an explanation first. She knew she was only in denial since the matter was clear as daylight.

After the incident, Minho was nowhere to be seen. At his job again, she reckoned. Therefore –much to her dismay– she went straight home without any sort of clarification.

"Yeji." Gyeoul called out, already tired of her own voice inside her head.

Yeji hummed as an acknowledgment, continuing to paint her nails a muted teal color.

"Minho asked me out."

Yeji unintentionally let out a screech, spilling the contents of the polish in the process. "He what?" She gasped, reaching for a tissue.

Gyeoul lied on her side, facing Yeji. She handed the worksheet. "I think? Upper right." She added.

Yeji quickly reached for the paper, disregarding her stained table. As she read the words, her jaw went slack. "Oh dear."

Do people still say that?

To be honest, Gyeoul did not expect Yeji to spend her summer in the dorms. Usually, the students go back to their homes and would only return when the semester begins. As Gyeoul was busy with her tutoring sessions, Yeji was busy with actually making her summer worthwhile– friends, parties, and the sort.

As the summer progressed, Gyeoul and Yeji grew much closer. She was not sure how but miraculously they just did. They two literally had nothing in common but maybe that was why their friendship became bearable.

She was glad she finally had someone to talk to about these things.

"And what did you say?" Yeji inquired, obviously intrigued.

Gyeoul shrugged, lying back down on her back. "Nothing. He was gone before I could–"

The ringing of her cellphone, interrupted her. She whipped the device out, seeing the unregistered number. Accepting the call, she pressed the phone to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hey."

Gyeoul was upright in an instant. "Minho?"

Yeji had once again paused from cleaning her table and literally flew next to Gyeoul on her bed. The girl was practically bouncing with delight.

"Yeah."

"How did you get my number?" Gyeoul found herself asking.