s i x

c h a p t e r 6

"Welcome to the family!" Seoyun aggressively shook the hand of the still bewildered girl. The fine woman beamed a smile, seeming to be comfortable with the newly hired tutor already.

Welcome? Family?

Gyeoul tried her best to match the woman's enthusiasm and beamed a smile of her own– trying her best not to show the awkwardness she was feeling.

"Thank you." She managed to utter as she gently pulled her hand back. "I will work hard." She added.

Seoyun took notice of the girl's discomfort and giggled, muttering an apology for her "energy". "You must be hungry! I'm in the middle of preparing dinner, have a seat." She ushered the girl towards the living room.

Gyeoul quickly waved her hand along with her head. She did not think she could be in the same place as that family for another minute. She had only met the mother and the son yet it already gave her a whiplash due to their explosive personalities. She'd had enough for the day. She wanted to escape, knowing to herself that it would be her life for the summer.

"It's alright, ma'am!" She quickly exclaimed before coughing once, to possibly hide the eagerness in her voice. "I must head back to the dorms. I still have a lot of homework waiting to be done." She smiled sheepishly.

"Summer break's next week. What homework?" Minho who had been silently watching from the side spoke up.

Gyeoul discretely shot him a look. "Oh, you know. That one." She laughed forcibly.

Minho raised a brow mockingly. "Which one?" He taunted.

Seoyun's head shifted from left to right, watching the two exchange.

Gyeoul had grit her teeth. "The one." When Seoyun tore her eyes from them, the girl took the chance and threw threw her pride out the window before joining her hands together as a sign of pleading.

Minho could not help but chuckle. "Oh yeah. That one." He nodded, feigning agreement. "Sorry, mom. She's leaving."

Seoyun's shoulders visibly slumped. "I guess I can't stop you from that." She sighed audibly. Not a second later, the smile was back. "It's fine. I'll have you over next time anyway." She giggled once more.

Gyeoul wasn't sure if the expression she was returning was a smile or a look of constipation.

"I'll get going now."

"Minho will drive you!" Seoyun cheerily said.

A small scoff escaped the girl's lips. "Oh, no. I'm sure he has a lot of homework to do as well." She smiled, confident that Minho would –once again– agree with her words. She was also sure that he would not want her within five meters from his car.

"No I don't."

•••

"This is completely unnecessary." Gyeoul muttered as she clicked the seatbelt in place.

"Is it?" Minho lazily answered back as he reversed out of their parking space.

"Yes. I could have taken the bus. I don't need my employer to drive me back to my dorm."