t w e n t y - n i n e

c h a p t e r 29

The next morning arrived, revealing a sky that had finally cleared after a seemingly never ending night of rain. However, the burden of the news that had recently been delivered weighed heavily on the group. One heavier than most. The rain had ceased, but the atmosphere remained somber, mirroring their collective mood. The air, though no longer filled with the pitter-patter of raindrops, still carried a certain heaviness-an unspoken weight that had settled upon their shoulders. They moved through the morning with a quiet deliberation, granting themselves the space and time needed to let the reality of the news sink in. Despite the clear skies, a sense of uncertainty and unease still lingered.

In the aftermath of the news that had been revealed, a palpable tension hung in the air, causing everyone to tread cautiously around Gyeoul. Conversations became guarded, words carefully chosen to avoid touching any sensitive topics that might worsen the situation. Gyeoul was not sure if she appreciated the gesture. It made her rather guilty that everyone was affected by it. She wondered if they would act the same if she had never met Minho.

Moreover, the absence of Minho, who had departed before the sun had fully risen, did no one any favor. His sudden departure had stolen away any opportunity for an explanation, leaving the group in a state of uncertainty and speculation. To compound the distressing turn of events, Aria was also nowhere to be found, leading the group to draw a sorrowful conclusion that they had left together. The silence that settled upon the house felt heavy and laden with unspoken questions. Each member of the group, acutely aware of the delicate nature of the situation, chose their words with utmost care, hesitant to add further discomfort to an already strained atmosphere.

Jisung seemed to miss the memo though. It was fine. They appreciated any form of comedic relief.

"Chan, did I ever tell you how great your cooking skills are?" Jisung hollered over the counter bar.

Chan chuckled. "No." He said, cracking an egg.

"So why cook?" Jisung asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

Jisung dodged as Chan gave a whole new meaning to flipping pancakes.

"How do you take your pancakes?" Chan asked Gyeoul with a plate of pancakes on one hand and maple syrup on the other.

Gyeoul stole a glance at Felix who discreetly spit out an egg shell. She returned her gaze at Chan who was sporting a proud smile. "Non-crunchy please."

A chorus of 'me too's followed.

Chan put a hand over his hip, taunting everyone with the spatula. "Didn't you all know that eggshells are a source of calcium?" He asked with curled lips.

"Yeah, I'm settling with my milk." Areum rasied her glass before leaving the table, ultimately deciding that she would rather starve than eat Chan's flour decorated eggshells.

To add to the growing list of misfortune, the head owner of the house, Seoyun, was no where to be found. Apparently, she was out of the country visiting her husband--Areum, Seungmin, and... Minho's father. Thus, the lack of any semblance of hope for edible breakfast. As to why Chan was left in charge of the spatula remains a mystery.

"It looks like the road's been cleared." Seungmin entered the dining room, reading the headline on his cellphone.

"Thank heavens! Anyone want to get real food?" Changbin was already halfway through the door with the keys of the ridiculous ice cream truck.

Almost everyone clambered their way out the house. Even Chan.

And then there were two.

"Are you not going with them?" Gyeoul asked the younger.