t h i r t e e n

c h a p t e r 13

"Hello? Knock much?"

Gyeoul spun around at the sound of the new voice. She was met by a younger girl with brown, shoulder length hair. The supposed owner of the room raised a brow sassily, waiting for a response.

"Your idiot brother pushed me in." Gyeoul gestured to the door behind her.

The young stranger shook her head, seeming to be annoyed. She got up from where she was laying, swinging her legs off the bed. Gyeoul caught sight of the bleached underpart of the younger's hair. She took a mental note to ask if high school students were allowed to have coloured hair now.

The girl marched over to the empty study table from across her giant bed before slumping on the chair with crossed arms. "Let's get this over with." She grumbled.

Gyeoul found the girl's enthusiasm to learn endearing. She did not bother to hide her smile which irritated the younger greatly. "My name is Gyeoul." She said for the second time that day.

"Areum." The younger said curtly.

(a/n: areum - beauty)

Gyeoul took the seat beside her, setting the folders down. "Very fitting, don't you think?" She raised a brow.

Areum's face remained grouchy but the blush that creeped in said otherwise.

Gyeoul concluded that Minho's attitude runs in the family.

The two spent the first few minutes of their session with the basics. Gyeoul had to give Areum an assessment test first to know her level with the English language. Surprisingly, the younger was doing quite well. It confused Gyeoul as to why the girl would need a tutor since with her level, self-studying would suffice. Especially if it were only to be used for high school. Areum was actually advanced.

Realising that Gyeoul's job would be much simpler than she thought, she quickly gave the first worksheet.

Gyeoul so badly wanted to talk to Areum. Make conversation at least. It occurred to her that it would be great if they had some sort of relationship to make the sessions more enjoyable. However, the creases between Areum's eyebrows signalled that talking was the last thing that she wanted.

Maybe next session.

As Areum was busy scribbling, Gyeoul took it upon herself to observe the girl's room. It was twice the size of her entire dormitory. She was almost embarrassed seeing that it was spotless. The blankets were folded nicely, the nightstand was free from empty bottles, and there was no laundry in sight.

How humiliating. A high school student seemed to have her life together when Gyeoul herself can't even bother to shower after swimming in garbage.

The slamming of pencil on the table awoke Gyeoul from her self reflecting session. Areum wordlessly slid the worksheet across her for checking.

More than half of the paper was marked wrong. Gyeoul hummed in wonder upon checking the final item of the first worksheet. She set her red pen down before casting a glance at Areum who was picking at her nails in a bored manner. "What?" The girl snapped, feeling the older's stare.