e i g h t e e n

c h a p t e r 18

"Wow. You really dive into your work." Gyeoul was appalled at the drenched Areum who was trudging her way across the sand.

Gyeoul wondered what happened as the younger had only said that she was going to draw. Areum was still in her sundress and her sketchbook was the only thing that was left dry.

As Areum passed her without saying anything, Gyeoul wondered whether she was ignored or the younger was simply too deep in thought. Gyeoul was sure that she was muttering something about murdering a.. quokka?

It was actually concerning.

"Isn't that illegal?" Gyeoul muttered under her breath.

Someone dropped next to her in the sand. "She didn't mean an actual quokka." Jeongin crossed his legs over each other.

It hasn't been long since the volleyball game but Hyunjin immediately disappeared. The girls too since the lack of attention that Minho gave them seemed to be too mentally exhausting. With Hyunjin gone, Minho's indifference, and Jeongin's inability to talk to strangers, they went off to who knows where.

Gyeoul raised a questioning brow to which Jeongin replied by jerking his head to the direction behind them. She craned her neck to see another boy drenched from head to toe.

The new face was obviously young as well. He was smiling boyishly, striding across the sand as he shook the water from his hair. Another handsome boy.

Should Gyeoul still be surprised?

"What did you do this time, Jisung?" Minho who still sat to her other side asked exasperatedly.

Jisung? Areum's little crush?

The so-called Jisung halted from his steps, seeing the big brother. "She.." He trailed off. "..tripped?" He finished, looking just as confused as the rest of us.

Minho was unimpressed. "She's not a fucking kangaroo, Jisung." He said flatly. "Go apologise."

He smiled sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Will do." He saluted before jogging towards Areum's direction.

From afar, Gyeoul saw how Jisung was desperately trying to block Areum's way. She was taking none of it and kicked the boy in the shin.

Gyeoul laughed, seeing Jisung hop around on one foot. "That's cute." She commented.

Minho scoffed beside her.

Ah, young love.

•••

"Why is there a flower here?" Yeji asked, lifting the red tulip.

Gyeoul's ear perked up at the mention of the flower. She quickly got to her feet from the couch as she raised a hand. "Oh, that's mine." She said casually before plucking it from the other's hand. "Souvenir." She shrugged trying to seem impassive.

"You do know there's a souvenir shop by the resort, right?" Areum asked.

"I like this one." She raised the flower before going into her room to tuck it inside a book.