12 || Paranoid

Tell me why I can't get to relief

Wonderin' when they'll come for me

A paranoid man makes paranoid plans

I'll do what I can, but it's out of my hands

Strugglin' just to find my peace

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Thanks for covering for me, Betty," I say as we walk to MJ's locker after school.

"No problem," She says, brushing it off with a wave of her hand.

"Maybe I should have tried to hide it better," I reply warily, reaching my hand close to the wound. My hand makes contact and I wince.

"A bandaid would look just as suspicious," Betty counters as we turn a corner. "Plus, Peter was probably just concerned. I bet he likes you." I roll my eyes.

"Betty, please. We've had like three interactions. Besides, he probably just saw a cut on my face and got concerned like a friendly person." I retort.

"What are we talking about?" MJ asks, coming over to us. I point at the book in her hand, the cover worn and the pages browning.

"New book?" I ask, and she nods.

"Don't change the subject, Y/N. We were talking about Peter's crush on her." Betty turns towards MJ as we walk out of the school building.

"He doesn't have a crush on me! He just asked if I was okay 'cause he saw the cut on my face."

"Yeah, but he was acting really weird." Betty reminds me.

"I guess, but it was more of a suspicious kind of weird, not an awkward I like you kind of weird." I say, and frown, stopping in my tracks.

"What's wrong?" MJ asks.

"What if he's Spiderman?" I ask, and I hear MJ snort.

"He's not Spiderman." MJ says, still laughing.

"Why not? He could be," Betty agrees as we keep walking.

"Peter isn't Spiderman. First off, isn't he friends with him? And second, you would know if it was him. You interact with both Spiderman and Peter a lot. Wouldn't you recognize him?" MJ argues, and I nod.

"I guess you're right." I say, nodding. "But we shouldn't rule him out completely."

"So what happened again?" Betty asks. "With that gun thing?"

"Well, I'm not even really sure. I got the citizens out and then this guy shot this gun thing and Spiderman went down and then this piece of shrapnel or something hit my cheek, and... I dunno." I shake my head.

"Maybe we should try to find the guy." MJ says, shrugging. "Can't we, like, take him down or something? Get the weapon and figure out what it is?"

I scoff. "Yeah, I can do that, but you guys can't. Spiderman wouldn't be so terrible to have on our team, too, though."