14 || Things I'll Never Say

Guess I'm wishing my life away

With these things I'll never say.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

(PETER'S POV)

"Just a reminder that our annual Spring Dance is coming up next month!" Betty's perky voice rings out through the tv during morning announcements in home room. "Which means, everyone, that it's time to start asking out those special someone's in our lives." I look over at Ned, who stares longingly at Betty on the screen.

I guess I know who his special someone is.

The bell rings and the announcements finish as we stand up, ready to get to class. Slinging my backpack over my shoulder, I make my way over to Ned's seat.

"Dude, are you ever going to ask her out?" I ask as he stands up with his bag.

"What?"

"Betty." I say as we walk into the hallway. "Are you ever going to ask her out?"

"No! Well, I don't know," Ned frowns. "I blew it by asking her about that Prophet thing."

"Yeah, we probably shouldn't have done that." I shake my head. "It was a bad idea in retrospect."

"I really want to ask her to the dance, Pete." Ned sighs, looking at me.

"I still think you should!" I remind him. "But the dance is weeks away. You have time."

"Right. But still... I might just do it."

"She obviously likes you. You should just go for it."

"If I just go for it, you should just go for Y/N." Ned says, and I look at him, my face full of surprise.

"What?" I exclaim, looking at him.

"You obviously like her," Ned says. "You keep running into her in random places and you talk about her a lot." I scoff.

"I do not," I say, but Ned gives me a look.

"Yes, you do. Trust me." He stops outside of his classroom. "I'll see you at lunch," He says, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Do I like Y/N? I barely know her. Sure, she is nice enough, and I have run into her at a couple places, and we did have chem together, but we aren't good friends.

But as I walk into the chemistry classroom and see her smile politely at me, I can't help but feel a little something I haven't felt for someone in a while.

•—•—•

"So are you going to ask her or not, Ned?" I ask at lunch time. We eye MJ, Betty, and Y/N at their table, talking and laughing about something.

"I don't know, dude! Don't rush me." He says, and I smile.

"You should do it soon," I say. "Before someone else asks her."

"MJ keeps looking at you," Ned observes, "She might be waiting for you to ask her out."

"Please," I scoff. "Besides, what is it with you and my love life?"