46 || The Final Countdown Pt. 1

We're leavin' together but still it's farewell

And maybe we'll come back to Earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame

We're leaving ground

Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"We move in twos." Steve is monologuing again, per usual, as Clint pilots the Quinjet to our destination. I fidget anxiously with the sleeve of my suit. "Sam and Bucky, Tony and I, Clint and Natasha, Bruce and Thor, Quill and Gamora, Rocket and Groot, Wanda and Vision, Nebula and Mantis, Rhodey and Drax. Peter and Y/N, you're staying behind." Peter groans.

"Why do I have to stay behind? I can help down there, too." Peter argues.

"Be lucky you two are on this team at all. It's an internship, remember?" Tony reminds us. We sigh. I knew I couldn't go, but not letting Peter go either is unfair.

Steve looks between us and Tony before continuing. "Sam and Bucky, you're going through the Southeast entrance. According to Natasha's inside information, the weapons are located here. Clint and Nat, you'll go in from the Southwest entrance. We need to make sure that all exits aren't clogged with people guarding the weapons. Tony and I will go in through the West entrance while Thor and Bruce go through the East entrance. This takes care of the back." Everyone nods at Steve's plan, following his finger as it traces the map.

"For a secret base containing a shit ton of weapons, I've never seen so many exits and entrances." Rhodey says, and I can't help but agree. It can't be that normal that there's so many entrances, right?

"I'm not really sure. It doesn't matter. In fact, it makes it easier for us to get cargo out." Steve says. "While all of us make sure the back is clear, Quill, Mantis, Nebula, and Gamora will be distracting everyone in the front, since I hear Quill's good at that."

"Oh, he's definitely good at that." Rocket says with a weird grin.

"Once we have made sure everyone in the building has either evacuated or... you know, died, everyone needs to get out. Seriously. This part is crucial. Groot, Rocket, Drax, and Rhodey, you guys are in charge of placing the bombs. Get in and get out. Easy. Once this is done, Wanda will build a forcefield around the entire place and we'll blow it to hell."

"Woah, woah, you're letting Wanda do all of that by herself?" I exclaim.

"I can handle it." Wanda says, but she gives me a thankful nod. Even though I know she probably can, part of me really wants to keep fighting until I can help her.

"Right. Everyone knows what they're doing?" Steve asks. Everyone nods as Peter and I sulk in the back. I feel the Quinjet land and I look around. There, right in front of us, is the warehouse.

"Make sure your comms are on." Tony says as the Quinjet doors open. "And be prepared for anything."

"This is HYDRA we're dealing with." Steve adds, and as he talks, he makes eye contact with Bucky. My eyes turn to Natasha, whose hand twitches as she stands next to Bucky. I raise an eyebrow, but I don't say anything. The group files off in twos until just Wanda, Vision, Peter and I remain.

"Well..." Vision says awkwardly. Out of everyone at the compound, he's probably one of the people I've talked to the least. Don't get me wrong, he's incredibly nice - but with my busy schedule and it not overlapping with his time at the tower, I haven't gotten to know him very well. "This is quite the double date." We all laugh a little to ourselves.

"There's a ton of people here, Steve." Sam says over the comms, and the four of us stop laughing. "I don't know if we can take all these people by ourselves."

"Our hallway is less congested," Natasha replies. "Clint and I will be there to back you up in five."

"Are you sure they don't need help?" I ask Wanda.

"Y/N, I'm cutting you off right there. You're not helping." Tony says, and I look at Peter confused, before turning my comms on.

"How did you know what I was saying? My comms were off." I ask, and Vision shrugs.

"Because I know you. Now stay put." He says, and I sigh, turning my comms off.

"Are you guys ready for me yet?" Wanda asks.

"Our entrance is clear and we helped Sam and Bucky clear up theirs. We're good here." Natasha says.

"Tony and I are still working." Steve says.

"We'll be finished soon," Quill says with a grunt. "Okay. Done."

"Holy shit," Sam whispers.

"Language." Steve replies impatiently.

"Uh... you guys better get down here. Everyone." Bucky says.

"Including us?" Peter asks hopefully.

"No." Tony says firmly, and Peter sits down, frustrated.

"Be careful," I say as Wanda and Vision leave.

"You guys, too," Wanda replies, and the Quinjet doors close, leaving only Peter and I inside.

For some reason, no one is using comms. Maybe because they're all together, wherever Bucky beckoned them to come. Peter and I sit in silence, our usual chatter about school ending soon or the newest tv shows and movies we've been watching suddenly unimportant.

"Come over," He blurts out after another minute of silence. I furrow my eyebrows.

"What?"

"For dinner. Come over for dinner some time. This week maybe? May isn't a very good cook or anything, but we could get takeout. That Chinese place we both like?" He says nervously. I laugh.

"I forgot about that place." I grin. "God, that feels like forever ago."

"Before we were really Prophet and Spiderman," Peter gets lost thinking about it, and so do I. "So do you want to come for dinner?" He asks after a moment.

"Yes, Peter. I would love that." I reply, and he grins.

"Oh my God." Natasha's voice comes on over the comms.

"Yeah..." Steve says. "Y/N, we're gonna need that help after all."