37 || This Will Be Our Year

Now that we're there and we've only just begun

This will be our year

Took a long time to come

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Teens on the couch, we're leaving soon." Tony announces, passing us. It's been a week since my birthday and ever since, I've been itching to use my new suit.

"Where are we going?"

"HYDRA base. We sent Sam's drone to check on a possible base and we found one."

"The drone is named Red Wing!" Sam shouts from another room.

"Is the base active?" Peter asks, ignoring Sam.

"We think so. We're going to check it out later." Tony says. "Be ready in your suits, we can't be late."

"We've got it, Mr. Stark. Thanks." Tony leaves the room and Peter and I stand up, ready to get our suits on.

Before we can go anywhere, there's a ringing in my ears and I stumble, a sharp pain taking over my head.

My suit.

The HYDRA logo.

A gunshot.

A scream.

My hair, covered in blood.

"Y/N? Y/N? Are you okay?" Peter asks, placing a hand on my back.

"I can't go on that mission today," I say, my head still pounding.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm going to die."

•—•—•

"Explain this again, please." Tony asks as we sit in his lab with Natasha and Bruce.

"I got this vision of me getting... shot in the head." I swallow, my heart beating fast. "There was a HYDRA  logo, and it went really fast, but I can't risk going today."

"Y/N, we don't know that something is going to happen to you. Besides, you knew signing up for this that there would be some risk of something happening to you-"

"Not getting shot in the head!" I exclaim, interrupting Tony. "I'm sorry but I can't go."

"If Y/N wants to stay, she should stay," Bruce says.

"Bruce is right, Tony. No one signed her up for death." Natasha agrees.

"Fine. You're right. But stay here and help us out, okay? You can be our home base today and run things from the lab." Tony says, and I nod.

"I'll be here."

•—•—•

"Is everyone in position?" Steve asks over comms. I stare at a bird's eye view of the HYDRA base (curtesy of Red Wing), making sure everyone is where they're supposed to be.

"We're all here, Cap," Sam says. "Y/N, where am I going?"

"Uh, hold on..." I use my legs to propel my swivel chair towards the desk behind me so I can check another map. "I'm not picking up any thermal readings near the southwest entrance, so I'd start there." I swivel back to the bird's eye view.