27 || Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Welcome to your life

There's no turning back

Even while we sleep

We will find you

Acting on your best behavior

Turn your back on mother nature

Everybody wants to rule the world

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Hey, Y/N, what's-" I cut Natasha off, slamming the piece of paper down on the table.

"I found this on my doorstep yesterday." I say, watching her look it over. She sucks in a breath before looking up at me.

"What's going on?" Steve asks, coming into the room.

"Y/N got this note yesterday." Natasha slides it over to him, and I watch his face get dark. I pace back and forth, starting to panic.

"They know where I live. Whoever left this note, they know I'm Prophet, and they know where I live. Where my Mom lives. And they're going to find me, and kill me or something, and what if they're Hydra? What if they're going to kill my Mom? What if they-"

"Slow down." Natasha says, putting her hands on my shoulders. She guides me over to the couch, and I plop down quietly. "Tell us what happened from the beginning." I swallow, nodding.

"Okay, so I went to the dance with Peter, and then I came home - it was probably ten, or ten thirty, I don't really remember the exact time - and my Mom went to go park the car and told me I could go up to our apartment. I looked down, and there was this white slip of paper on the door mat outside, and I picked it up and unfolded it and - and it said 'We know who you are.'" My voice breaks and I shakily try to pull myself back together.

"Who knows that you're Prophet?" Steve asks, crossing his arms.

"Two of my friends, Betty and MJ, Peter, all of you, Hank Pym, Hope Van Dyne, Scott Lang - and I guess Scott's friend, though I'm not sure if he knows I'm Prophet - and I think that's it. That's... over ten people." I sigh, and so does Natasha.

"What's with all the long faces?" Tony asks. He's accompanied by Peter, who frowns once he sees the expression on my face.

"Peter, why don't you and Y/N go into the other room for a minute? Tony, Steve and I need to talk." Natasha says gently, and I nod, not saying another word.

"Are you okay?" He asks as we leave the room. I stop, turning towards him.

"Someone knows who I am," I sob, placing my hands over my face so Peter won't see me cry.

"Hey," He says, wrapping me in a hug. I place my head on his shoulder, trying to calm myself down. "It's okay. It's okay."

"Someone knows who I am, Peter. Someone knows that I'm Prophet." I whisper, and I can tell Peter wants to ask more but refrains from doing so.

"It's gonna be okay. Don't worry. Mr. Stark and Mr. Rogers and Natasha will figure it out. They know what to do."

"Yeah, you're right." I sniff. "You're right." I pull back, wiping the tears from me eyes. "Sorry."

Peter shakes his head. "Don't apologize."

"Thank you, Peter." I whisper. The door opens and Tony sticks his head out.

"You guys want to come in now?" He asks, and we nod, following him into the room.

"So here's what we're going to do: nothing." Natasha says.

"What?" I ask. Nothing? What did that even mean?

"This is a threat." Steve continues. "It's supposed to be intimidating. If you go on, unperturbed, unbothered, as if the note means nothing, they don't win. You do."

"So... I'm just supposed to pretend this means nothing?"

"Exactly." Steve nods.

"In the mean time, Natasha and I will work on figuring out who did this to you." Tony says. "We're going to figure out who did this, don't worry."

My phone chirps in my pocket and si pull it out? seeing a text from my Mom.

"I should probably go now." I say, sighing.

"I'll walk you home." Peter offers, but I shake my head.

"I'll be fine. You don't have to."

"Walk her home." Tony instructs, and Peter nods, putting his hand on my back was we walk out the door.

"It's gonna be okay, Y/N."

"I know. I know. I'm just... nervous."

"I understand. I don't know what I would do if someone found out or threatened to reveal who I was publicly." He says as we leave the tower.

"Can you distract me?" I ask, and he frowns.

"What?"

"Just... talk about anything. I know you can do it." I tease, and he smiles.

"Okay... I had fun at the dance last night. Did you?"

I smile. "I did."

"I also... had fun kissing you." I raise an eyebrow at his statement.

"Wow, someone's getting brave."

"Am I? I hadn't noticed." He responds, and I laugh.

"I wouldn't mind doing it again."

"Dancing?"

"No, making out. Dancing wouldn't be bad either." I decide, and he blushes.

"Is this distraction working?" We reach my building and stop outside, turning to each other.

"Mmm... no. I think you have to kick it up a notch." I say, grabbing his hand and dragging him into the alley.

"What are we-" I kiss him before he can finish, and he kisses back, lifting his hands to my face. We stand there for a minute, kissing against the wall of the building, and I finally pull away, feeling the blush hit my cheeks.

"That was better."

"Still distracted?"

"Oh, just a little bit." I say, and this time it's Peter who kissed me, and I close my eyes, kissing back. My phone buzzes and I sigh, pulling away and pulling out my phone. "It's my Mom. I have to go."

Peter frowns, but nods anyways. "You're gonna be okay?"

"Oh yeah, I'll be fine. I have superpowers, remember?" I grin, and he smiles, too. "I'll text you later."

"Okay. Be careful."

"Of course." I say, opening the door. Peter gives me a final smile and I return it, closing the door behind me.