Chapter 15 - Trust

Ray's POV

"Did you find her?" Tyson asked us worried.

"No, she's not there with her mother."

"She isn't with Kai either. " Max replied.

"I searched the visitor's lobby. She isn't there. I should have thought about it, I knew we shouldn't have left her alone again, not so soon after last time. What if somethi- "

''Shut up, Ty. Hillary will be fine. We haven't checked the cafeteria. She must have gone for lunch. It's pretty much lunch time. Come with me." he said and without waiting for a response, dragged Tyson with him. I followed them silently.

Just as Max predicted, Hillary was in the cafeteria. Max called out in excitement as he approached her. Tyson was doing a remarkable job at appearing sheepish. I smile gently.This startled her, and when she saw us, her worry lines vanished leaving a relieved smile on her.

She approached Tyson first and smacked him in the head. He ducked down, clearly hurt by her approach. Just as his shoulders were at her level, she clung onto his neck. "Idiot, I'm so sorry. I didn't want to insult you or something, Tyson. It's just that hadn't laughed in a long while and it really felt so good that I couldn't help it. I'm ashamed of my actions as I should have also thought about you guys as he's one of your best friends. I-"

"It's okay Hil. Chill out. I'm fine, these two helped me. Now, I'm starving crazy."

She laughed at him. "Yeah, now I'm hungry too. Could you bring me a plate of lasagna Ray." I head to the counter and buy the food they had preferred earlier. As I bring them their dishes, I was greeted with a thank you from each one of them and we began our lunch, or rather, brunch.

After a agonizing silence of fifteen minutes, Hillary stated, "I want to call my father."

We all look at each other, unsure what to suggest, but thankfully, it wasn't needed as she continued. "Th-That day (takes in a long breath and closes her eyes) the attacker said that he somehow cut my connection with dad. So, since he's behind bars now, I want to try calling my dad and tell my mother's condition to him, so that he could come here before she gets up."

After another gap of thirty seconds elapsed. She sighed. "I want you guys to be there with me."

"Of course we will. Have your food fast and then, we could contact him from the hospital's video-phone."

******

Hilary's POV

As Max arranged for a private video-phone, I tried to maintain a calm facade, which was getting difficult every second.

"Come'n, Hil. We've got Booth-24." Max said offering his hand.

Unable to talk, I give him a smile, though it must have looked like a grimace. Each step taken got harder than the previous one, and the anxiety was definitely making it hard to breathe. Just before I pressed the final number of his company's call center with my trembling hands, Tyson stopped me.

"Drink this, Hil." He said handing me a glass of water, not trusting my hands with the delicate glass, he slowly helped me drink the ice cold water. It surely did wonders to my irrational anxiety. It made breathing easier.

"Feeling better?"

I nod and press the last digit as he puts a hand across my shoulder and pulls me slightly close to him. I liked the warmth, so I didn't complain. "Do not mention anything about the second attack. I'll tell him the attacker told it to the police." Max and Ray left as my father hadn't met them before, whereas Tyson has been our family friend for years.