Chapter 26 - Owning up to your Mistakes

The blades crashed with intensity. Kai, who hadn't used Dranzer since Kenny updating it, was wobbly at controlling it. His initial attacks were weak and the aim, not up to the mark. But he was rapidly improving.

Tyson, on the other hand, was controlling his blade perfectly, but for once in his life, was on a defensive mode. He adamantly refused to attack Kai, much to the latter's frustration. This frustration did nothing but fuel Kai's present questionable strength.

Tyson was slightly thrown back at his fourth attempt. Kai's attacks were gradually getting as strong as his usual ones. This stirred Max from his shock. He quickly strode to Ray and whispered urgently, "Ray, what's happening? Tell Kai to stop. It's leading us nowhere." For Max knew that Kai valued Ray's words the most among them all.

He wouldn't meet Max's eyes. His hands were tied in front of him, his lips pressed into a firm line. "Kai's old enough, isn't he? He can think for himself. As for Tyson, he deserves it."

The cold indifference radiating from Ray shocked Max. Ray was anything but the 'momma duck' of the team. The only one being practical and caring for everyone's well being when all others were being reckless, stupid and childish. But Max barely had a moment to process the words before another crash was heard.

******

Both Max and Ray's attention was drawn to the match again. Tyson had in the meantime, fallen on his bottom, but still hadn't attacked Kai, though one could see that his patience was stretching thin. Kai's forehead shone with sweat, as Dranzer continued to ruthlessly attack dragoon.

A medium sized leather purse had found its target in the two bey-blades battling in the close quarters of the hospital corridor. The unexpected obstacle in the battle had played into Hillary's favor, the owner of the purse. She looked downright calm. She strode to the middle of the battle, and picked up the struggling blades.

Dragoon was still spinning but didn't offer any resistance as she picked it up. Dranzer, whose spin speed was just as weak as Dragoon, if not weaker, offered way more resistance. It finally stopped when Hilary gently pressed her thumb into the bit-beast's symbol at the top, but not before leaving a nasty scratch in her palm.

She picked up her purse at the end, which was mostly shreds of leather now, and slowly dusted it, taking her time to check the money in it for any damage.

All of them were too dumbstruck to actually stop Hillary from whatever she intended to do next. She put both the bey-blades into her purse.

Then she commented, "Well boys, there are a number of non-violent, non-reckless ways to settle a dispute. I suggest you use those." she said as she walked back to her original position and casually leaned into the wall.

******

Tyson was the first one to recover his wits (surprised?) and cleared his throat. He glance at Hillary, as though seeking her permission, she wouldn't look at him. And then at Ray. "What the hell was wrong here-" he started but Ray had already started towards him. "You oblivious pig-headed little... you can't be that much of an idiot, can you?" he smacked Tyson in the head. "You were supposed to be here three hours ago. And you didn't even think that you should inform us, give us a call maybe, that something held you back?!"

"What's the big deal? You wouldn't have died if you didn't take a bath-" he started sarcastically.

But Kai cut him off this time. "It's not about  them, idiot. They were worried sick about you."

This flared Tyson's anger to its limit. "So you took the responsibility to punishing me, did you? None of you ever mentioned it. How was I supposed to know-"