Chapter 23 - A Chat with Agent Grace

Getting to the reception was harder than Max had anticipated. They had to make sure that none of the staff saw Kai leaving his room. Until then, Kai's chest was left bare, except for the bandages, to promote healing. He was now clad in a long, navy blue coat, as an attempt to disguise himself as a visitor. And as Max saw Kai among the small crowd in the lift, Kai was doing a wonderful job at blending among the people.

Kai, who was now wearing the coat with just the top three buttons done, gave an aura of casualness. His face didn't betray even a hint of nervousness, worry, nothing. Max never understood how one could stay so... well, he never found the word.

******

Ray had completely different thoughts worrying him. As much as Kai attempted to hide it, he was still worse for wear. Well, it was obviously expected that the wound, although almost a fortnight old, was still bothering Kai very very much... It's just that Kai did a remarkable job at hiding it, as he walked straight, his face blank of the pain, that worried him. He had seen Kai endure much worse, and yet never bother to share them with anyone, even if the other person was trying to help.

Kai's endurance had always awed him, but it has always been a source worry too, because this endurance is bound to hurt him in the end. He was constantly second guessing whether he did the right thing in letting Kai out, for whatever call he had to make. On the other hand, he wanted to make sure Tyson was alright. But he did not want to make Kai suffer due to this.

Kai is worried about Tyson as much as you are.... was his only consoling thought.

******

Max led the way to one of those High-tech Videophones located at a secluded area in the communication room, far from preying eyes.

"I thought the security was increased since the last week." he said, uncertainty in his voice, as he glanced the corridor which was quite bare.

"Only VVIPs can have visible security in Japan, Max." Said a distracted Kai, as he adjusted some buttons in the videophone. "Whoever's out there, or I hope there is, will be keeping an eye on who's entering the hospital, and any other suspicious activity around it. They've given me a emergency button.... incase someone does break in through their defenses, which is highly unlikely." He said showcasing a small button from his pant pocket, while he was still busy with the videophone. "They don't think I'd be stupid enough to leave my bed... Well, it's ready."

I glance at Ray, and just like him, he wasn't sure whether Kai was serious or joking, because his face was still blank of all emotions. Ray shrugs and stands next to Kai, putting an arm around his waist, careful to not touch the bandages. Kai tried to throw him off, but he didn't bulge. "You're still worse for wear Kai. Continue doing whatever you had to do. We can't have you falling down in the middle." Ray kept a cool facade, and since Ray was the most muscular of the four, with those biceps, triceps and the beginnings of  a four-pack abbs, and Kai being in a compromising position as it is, he gave in. But he did mumble something about 'immunity' which was inaudible to Max and continued with his process.

I peak in after Ray was given a green signal. After hesitating for a few moments, I took the fact that Kai didn't complain as a sign to stay. After a series of security checks such as fingerprint and retina scannings, female's voice answered,

"Hello sir, please state your name, and the objective of this call."

"Kai Hiwatari, an appointment with Agent Grace."

"Scan in your client ID please."

"I don't have it at the moment."

"Then sir, I'm sorry to say this-"