CH 13 - Don't You Dare...

As they exited the conference room, Mr Dickerson said, "I apologize for not being available yesterday night, when you needed me the most. But you boys don't have to worry about any financial matters from now on. With the Blade Breakers being the current world champions, and as the talk show arrangements had gone through me, the chairman of the BBA, the organization will take full fall of the expenses," he said, before adding "-and you'll also be getting your complete monetary reward."

Tired smiles, dull eyes and muted hmms were the only response Mr Dickenson received. Ray couldn't imagine Kai's reaction to all his teammates stealing away his universal responses. Ray was used to being known as Kai's closest teammate, but hardly made much of a difference. Even he couldn't be sure of Kai's exact reaction, but an eye roll and his usual half smirk for every action that required a smile were sure to be included. 

Ray had mixed feelings pertaining to the Press Conference. He was glad to have been able to clear the air relating to a lot of controversies about their team, pertaining to Tyson and Kai. And he was more glad to have forced Tyson to not attend this Press Conference. His temper and lack of a brain-to-month filter would have only made matters worse. 

 But the last reporter had ruined it all by asking the one question his team was not yet ready to acknowledge its existence. What will happen to us in the next world championships?

This is not the time to worry about it, Ray reminded himself. We have to get back to the hospital. Hillary's alone and needs rest. We should be the one to take care of Kai.

"I think we should leave." Ray voiced out. The others agreed. "Yeah... Hill needs rest. We should get going."

"But at least have some dinner." Mr Dickenson insisted. "It won't take you anywhere more than fifteen minutes. I'll drop you guys at the hospital and drop Hillary home too."

Kenny said. "We could take her some pasta too......it would cheer her up a bit." Kenny suggested. "Anyway we had told her we'll be there by nine and it's still eight-thirty. " Max said, sheepishly joining the other team. Ray couldn't blame them, the hospital food was  bland. Not the completely bland food associated with hospitals, but still bland. He  sighed, relenting. "Fine. Let's get over with it quickly then."

No one was in the mood of small talk. They were just half-heartedly having their restaurant food, finally realising that the problem wasn't in the food, but in their appetite. From the looks of it, they were all thinking about the final question asked today. Ray felt annoyed at them,  though he himself had been mulling over it minutes before. But today was not the time. We had to think of Kai now. We had to think of their safety. They had to assist the police in the investigation. 

" Hey Max,"  Ray started, but Max didn't seem to hear him. "Max!"  Ray called out again, bringing back Max to the real world. "Did you find out what the symbol is?"

******

Max took a moment to answer, shaking his head. "Not yet. I've been searching for it through the net, but looks like it has suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth! I-I didn't try contacting mom, coz I didn't want to face her... yet, S-so I asked Emily for help. She hasn't replied yet.." immediately checking his phone for any new notifications. There were two. 

 The first one was professional and to the point. Just the type of answer you could expect from a researcher. 'I'll email you all the details I get hold of by the evening.' 

The second one was enclosed in parenthesis. '(Meaning somewhere around early morning tomorrow, don't work yourself too much for the time conversions, I know you'll never get it :P)' That wasn't true at all, he had learnt it a year and a half ago, after he got in good terms with his mom, just after the American tournament. But Max had also learnt to take a joke casually  in Japan.