CH 19 - Insecurities

''I must be hallucinating... I must be hallucinating... I must be... " Max could hear Tyson murmuring, trying to convince himself this was all his imagination, as we made our way to Kai's room. Hillary was on the lead, the both of us following her from a distance as Tyson's palm continued to stay firm on his cheek.

"What were you both actually talking about? " Max asked, overpowered by curiosity. "uh?" Tyson said, not giving him much attention.

"Uh-huh, indeed." He sighs, rolling his eyes at Tyson's current lack of vocabulary, more pronounced than usual. He just shrugged his shoulders. "I think it was payback." Max suggested.

Tyson stilled, turning towards him, a frown on his face. "What?" he whisper-hissed. "I think this was payback for the stunt you pulled at Mr. Dickerson's office." Max whisper-hissed back, as though the snake was quite satisfied after a huge meal."Oh" he simply stated. Max tried hard to sniffle his giggles. 

They both reach the door to find Hillary holding the doorknob, frowning. "I think you guys should go. I'll be ri-" she started but Max cut her off. "You'll be fine Hil, there's nothing to be worrying so much about. Kai should be thankful. You saved his life." Max says firmly, pulling in a rather struggling Hillary in. 

Coming in next, Tyson closed the door and without a moment's delay,

'CRACK!'

The ceramic saucer in Kai's hand went swishing through the air like a frizbee, hitting and shattering into the wall missing Hillary by inches!

Hillary stood shell-shocked. Max and Tyson exchange a glance in alarm. Even Ray stood up suddenly, looking slightly put off at the sudden change of events.

"Bloody hypocritical you are, hope you know that!" he screamed. "Telling me all about being there for each other, teamwork, friendship, utter bullocks! Had me nearly believing in your fantasy, and that's saying something!" None of them had ever seen Kai this angry before, and none of them knew the reson this time.

"Are you really sure you are fine, Kai? I could fetch you a doctor..." Max asked tentatively just as Tyson yelleded, "What the hell is wrong with you?" as he made his way to stand beside Hillary.

"I'm fine." He snapped at max and glared at Tyson "Don't you dare take another step towards her!". Tyson was very much tempted to dare kai,but Hillary was pleading with her eyes to not make things worse. Tyson stood back, but not before throwing kai a enormous look. Kai continued.

"And what were you thinking by keeping it all a secret from us? Things could have gone worse way worse Hillary, you know that don't you! Your mom could have died! You could have been murdered!! That your strong? independent?!! Don't need our help? My foot." he spat in disgust.

Hillary had her hands balled into fists by her side, her head hanging low, refusing to speak, looking rather ashamed, tears streaming down her cheeks. Tyson had never seen Hillary looking so vulnerable before. She was the bossy one. He couldn't see her being so badly humiliated for doing something good!!

He couldn't take it anymore. ''What the hell are you on about Kai?! You should be thanking her for saving your arse, not just once, but twice!!" Tyson shouted.

Kai turned back to him in anger. "I wouldn't have needed saving if she had been honest with us in the first place!"
Kai screamed louder than him. He was already panting, his face flush with anger.

"What are you really talking about Kai?" Ray intervemed, his eyebrows furrowed, looking thoroughly lost. Max nodded with Ray.

******

Kai glanced at the rest of them, as though really seeing them for the first time. Taking in their expressions, he started again. "You still haven't told them, have you." Kai's voice was cold, monotoned and controlled, completely opposite to the tone just a moment ago and somehow,  the brunette found this to be more frightening than the first one.