3

My heart is beating out of control, but I haven't lost all my wits. Not just yet, anyway. "This has to be a mistake. There is no way my parents were involved in a secret underground gambling ring!"

Even just saying it feels ridiculous! Surely she can see that, too?

But she doesn't move, sprawled comfortably on my lap. A frown tugs at the corners of her lips. "Oh, but they were, sweetie. I never forget a face."

Her thumbs rub over my cheek "You're just as pretty as your mom."

I turn my head aside, swallowing nervously.

"But if you hate them so much, then why bother saving me from the other gang?" I ask her nervously.

"How should I know? That was Jisoo's call. I was expecting her to return with your parents, not with you."

I shake my head quickly. "I'm not rich. I can barely afford to pay rent each month. There's no way I can pay you back!"

The door opens again and I freeze, realizing how this must look from the outside. My blood rushes to my face. What's going to happen if the gang thinks Rosé is just in here messing around? There's a loud sigh from Lisa.

"Rosé, get off the (Y/N/L) girl and come here."

Rosé doesn't tear a gaze away from me, a serene and patient smile on her face. "I'm working."

"Don't make me get Jisoo." Lisa says sternly.

A flash of irritation. I can sense a conflict of wills, Rosé struggling between following the order or sticking to her own plan. When she finally decides, she leans down and winks at me.

"If you can't take me to your parents, you'll have to come up with money yourself. Like it or not, you're involved now."

"Rosé." Roseanne sighs. weights lifts off of me, bringing relief as she strides over to Jisoo and the open door. She gestures for her to come and they step outside, speaking in low whispers.

Now that they're distracted...

There's no other exits except that one door. I eye the pair of them critically, standing just outside the door frame.

Maybe if I run really fast...? Agh, there's no way! They're both so much bigger than me!

Before I have time to think of another plan, Rosé returns to me. She seems lighter than before, back to her syrupy-sweet persona. "You look tired, sweetie."

Is this a trap? Is she inviting me to sleep with the fishes or something?

"A little." I answer.

"Poor thing. Well you can stay here for the night"

I open my mouth to object but she beats me to it with a rebuttal ready.

"Think carefully before you reject my protection. We're not the only gang after your parents, obviously."

Vividly, I remember the way it felt to stare down the barrel of a gun.

They keep telling me they're protecting me. But what if that other gang was working for Jisoo?

"Where is she sleeping?"

"In my part of the house, of course. Come along dear."

Rosé nods her head to the openen door and begins to leave. Startled, I realize I'm meant to follow.

Well, it's not like I have any choice...

And I don't like the way Jisoo is staring at me, eyes narrowed and arms crossed. As I trot behind Rosé, I expect to climb up a set of stairs. But instead she leads me to an elevator, and takes us up to another floor.