25

"You?"

Jungkook Jeon stands framed in the open doorway, hands nervously tugging down the lapels of his blazer. He smiles at me, carelessly charming. "It's so nice to see you again, darling. I told you we would meet again soon did I not?" "Oh. Yeah. You sure did... Mr. Jeon." He walks towards us,  the ease in his steps and voice disarming me despite my better judgement. "It's fortunate I'm here. This is a very valuable item you hold..."

This is almost TOO fortunate. The guy I bumped into is the guy whoo can buy the necklace?

I keep a close eye on him, arms crossed.

"... May I see it?" He asks Roseanne, not me. My girlfriend glances over at me, eyebrows lifting in question. I shrug. "Fine. Here you go." "Thank you." She extends it to him. The necklace links them together briefly as they meet each other's eyes, both of them pausing. Then Roseanne let's go. "Gorgeous." Jungkook lifts my necklace up to the light, awe in his voice. "I have been looking so long for this, darling. This is truly an auspicious day." 

Lowering the necklace, Jungkook continues referring to Roseanne instead of me. He looks at her much like he'd inspected the necklace. A little melted. A little lost. Very overwhelmed.

"Ahem. So, uh, you can buy the necklace?" Jungkook shakes his head, attention turning to me. "No. Unfortunately, I did a little digging. The necklace became a prize of the hotel after it was anonymously donated by a patron." "Then why are you here?" "To verify the jewel's authenticity. But I can't buy it. It's too hot to transport right now, too dangerous. Especially since some of my rivals from Korea learned of it the same night I did." He smiles, wryly. "But you took care of them didn't you?" He beams with pride at...Roseanne. The way he's looking at her hasn't escaped her notice, eihter, and she's growing visibly uncomfortable. "If you aren't here to buy, then...?"

His smile drops a few molars, disappointment rediating off him in waves. "...Isn't it obvious?" He takes a cautious step forward. "...Don't you recognize me, Chaengie?" Roseanne looks frozen. But she recovers in an instant, laughing shortly. "You must have me confused with someone else, Mr Jeon." He seems convinced at first, ready to back donw. But then a familiar steel glint enters his eyes, and Jungkook remains firm. "Don't you think I'd know my older sister if I saw her?!"

I can only gape as the two size each other up, both of them standing in a similar subborn posture. Spine straight, shoulders back, making aggressive eye contact.

"I don't have an older brother. My family is dead." She says it without hesitation, daring him to contradict her. Jungkook gazes at her, eyebrows pinched together in distress. Then he reaches into his pocket, pulling out a tattered, old, dirty blue rabbit's foot. My heart lurches and I quickly look at mine, dangling from my phone. "Rosie, it's...It's the same one..." 

Roseanne is as tense as a board, lips thinning in anger. "What do you want?" She snaps. "Who are you and what do you want with me?" "I already told you, Chaengie. I'm your brother. You and I used to joke about good luck and making our fortune and..." he points at the lucky rabbit foot I hold. "And I bought you that toy because you kept begging me, because you were, you know...You were being a kid and you were so adamant that the silly little toy would change your luck. So I caved and bought it, cause you are my older sister and it's my job. To make you happy. I want to take you home to South-Korea. Mom would be so happy to-"

Roseanne takes my hand, so hard it almost hurts. Then she marches past Jungkook, snatching the necklace from him. "We're getting out of here." "Wh- but-" "Come on!" She yells at me making me frown. All I can do is follow, casting confused glaces back at Jungkook as we leave him behind.

Roseanne feels like a live wire, shaking and trembling with violent energy. 

"Rosie, what was that?" "A con man, probably. Sure. we'd give him the necklace for free! That's what siblings do right? I mean who does he think he is? Does he think I'm an idiot? Does he think I don't know a scam when I see one? Does he?!" "...Rosie, you're not making any sense..."

Her grip relaxes and she turns to me, eyes filled to the brim with unshed tears. "It's a lie. It has to be a lie. That's all there is to it." She wipes her eyes furiously, trying hard not to let them spill. Cautioously, I wrap my arms around her. Roseanne holds me, still shaking. 

"Chaeng! Wait!" 

Roseanne tenses up again. She angles me aside, walking towards Jungkook. Je runs towards her, arm outstreched to try and grab her by the shoulder. Taking his arm, Roseanne twists and pulls, throwing him clean over her hip onto the ground.

"Oh!-" I flinch and jump out of the way, almost dropping my phone. Both my hands are clasped over my mouth. 

Roseanne crouches near Jungkook, one hand on his head. "I don't want anything to do with you or the woman who gave birth to me. Do you understand? We can be business partners but that's all. I'm not your sister. You're not anybody to me." She let's him go, heading towards the car. "We're leaving, Y/N!"

I'm torn, looking from Roseanne's retreating back to Jungkook. On the ground. Broken, crumpled. "I'm...I'm sorry." Jungkook looks up at me, one hand checking his jaw for soreness. "You better go with your girlfriend, darling." He gets up slowly. I pause, wanting to say something. Then I turn around and flee, following Rosé. 

A/N:  dubble update cause i'm nice