13

The next morning when I wake up, Rosé is already gone.

Huh? She's up before me? That's new.

I'm pretty sure I've woken up before Rosé nearly every day I've been here. Heading downstairs to see if I can find her, I'm startled to hear Ha-Joon's voice coming from the living room.

"I fail to see how this concerns me."

What's he doing here?!

Sneaking as quietly as I can, I peek around the corner of the hallway. "It concerns you because your hustler is out if control." Jisoo and her dad are speaking through video call. "I don't know what kind of bullshit you've been feeding him, but he has grudge against Rosé that has to be seen to be believed."

Tell me about I. He seemed determined to wreck Rosé's life, even at the cost of his own. What's his beef with Rosé, anyway?

"I'll have a word with Jimin as long as you keep your girl in check as well." Ha-Joon says sternly. "In check? She hasn't done anything except win at poker."

Oh, they're talking about me, now?

"And you'll have her withdraw if you don't want things to escalate." "YOU'LL withdraw if you don't want us to head over there and blow your head off." Ha-Joon laughs, leaning backwards in his chair. "And when the other gangs learn you're dispensing your own justice, what do you think will happen next?"

Jisoo leans forward, eyes narrowed. "Leave. Rosie. Alone." "Why? You knew she trouble when you left with her. Considering her sterling personality, can you honestly say you're surprised Roseanne has a few enemies?"

"Hmm." Rosé makes me jump as she appears behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist and propping her chin atop my head. "Charming as ever." "Rosie--"

Uh oh. How much did she hear?

"Shh. Stay here." Giving me another squeeze, she enters the living room. "Let me talk to the bastard, Jisoo." Jisoo whirls around, eyes widening. For just a second, I see guilt before her gaze gardens. "This is a private conver-"

Ha-Joon speaks up, drawing with low humor. "If it isn't my ex-hustler. I heard Jimin sent you a little film." "And I bet you saved a copy, pervert." His eyes, so similar to Jisoo's, narrow in flicker of annoyance. "I'd love to stay and chat, but I have other matters to attend to. And with someone who is a lot less if a headache than you are." Jimin flits onto the screen, making a face through the camera before Jisoo hangs up the call.

"Hey!" She rounds on Jisoo's. "I wasn't done talking to him." "Well, I was." "Shut up, you know u have just as much right to speak to him as you do." Jisoo opens her mouth, a retort hot on her lips before she sighs. "I'm not talking about this with you right now." "...Fine!"

She turns around sharply, tossing her hair as she marches out if the room. Nervously noting the way Jisoo glares at me, u quickly follow.

In the privacy of her gambling room, Rosé flips in the couch, resting her head on my lap. "Oooh, I can't BELIEVE how much that guy gets under my skin." I ease my fingers through the tangles in her hair. "Ha-Joon? Yeah he seems like a real creep." "It's been so many years but every time I see him, I'm just like..." She lifts her fist up, clenching them like an old-school drama. "KIMMMMM!!!"

I can't help but sputter in laughter, and Rosé grins up at me. It dienst last king, though, before she's brooding again. "That bastard screwed me over so bad..." "What did he do? I know you hate him, and so does Jisoo... I mean, do I wanna know?" "You're the one asking me. I mean, I don't have any family. I was only a kid when Ha-Joon caught me stealing, cheating in a poker tournament."