4

"Let's see who it is. Come on, sweetie." She takes me by the hand, dragging me along.

"you have to stick with me, remember?" She gives me a crooked grin.

"You chose me."

Yeah, and I'm already beginning to regret it!

Running a hand through her hair, Roseanne fusses over herself for a moment before opening the door with exaggerated flamboyance.

"Whatever you're selling, we don't want any!"

"Always the comedian, Roseanne."

Much to my surprise, Roseanne tenses up. She's still holding my hand, and her grip tightens on reflex. A strange man stands at the doorway, unassuming except for the bespoke suit he's wearing.

"Ha-Joon Kim."

The name jiggles my memory.

Isn't Jisoo's last name Kim, too?

"You're awake so early. Did Jisoo finally turn you into someone respectable?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself? She's in the living room with your other daughter." She says curtly.

There's no jokes here. Roseanne tries to lead me away, but Ha-Joon gestures for her to wait.

"Don't leave just yet, my dear. You're the whole reason I'm here today."

Roseanne hesitates, then carelessly tosses her hair over her shoulder. "Fine. We can talk"

We gather in the living room again. The tension in the air is so thick you could cut it easily with a blade. Everyone in the gang is glaring daggers at Ha-Joon.

"Are you lost, old man?" Jisoo speaks up. That cool, unflappable exterior crumbles slowly the longer Ha-Joon's gaze lingers on her. I draw closer to Roseanne, instinctively going for the gangster who is supposed to watch over me.

"You've grown bold. Or maybe you're all just excited over the tournament. It's only a few days away, isn't it."

Fed up Roseanne snaps. "If you have something to say, spit it out. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm busy right now."

Ha-Joon's eyes drift down, landing on Roseanne's hand in mine, still tightly clutched. "So I see."

Noticing as well, Roseanne let's go as if she had been branded. Stepping between me and Ha-Joon, she speaks between grit teeth. "What. Do. You. Want?"

"I heard you put your name in the list of Black Diamond tournament players":

"what's it to you? Scared of losing?" Jennie interfered.

"I just think it's funny you think you'll be able to play." Ha-Joon chuckles.

"Mr. Kim, I'm sure you're aware there's nothing prohibiting us from playing." Sunmi says.

"Unless I, the host this year, decide you aren't eligible to attend." Ha-Joon says smiling slightly.

Oh no

Roseanne's chest hitches with a sharp gasp. "You.."

Something clicks in the air, like a match in dry tinder. I see in slow motion, hands hovering over concealed guns. Everyone in the room tensing for an outburst.

Until I speak. "You're pathetic." i spit out before I can stop myself. But it's true-- this guy is a total slimeball, showing up here just to gloat and cause trouble. I despise him on principle.

Slowly, Ha-Joon speaks. "Even if you were to play, Roseanne, you wouldn't win against me. I have a new hustler. Someone with more potential than you ever had."