36

Lying in bed to her, I stroke Roseanne's hair from her face. She's exhausted, curled up next to me in a picture of glowing contentment.

"You okay?" She nods, lips brushing my neck in a faint kiss. "It's been a long time since I had somebody to trust like that." Sighing, she stretches out like a cat. "Same here." There's more I want to say, about trust, and my family and hers. But I'm not sure if it's the right time until she rolls again, looking up at me.

"Sometimes I don't know which is worse..." Her fingers brush against my lips, eyes distant as she loses herself in memories. "The idea that they loved me. That somewhere out there was someone who desperately wanted me. Or the more likely that they just didn't need me. Either way, it hurts." Everything about her is soft. Her hair, her voice, her milky white skin. "I try not to think about it. It's been so long since I pestered the guys to try and help me find my parents." I respond.

Without a word, she kisses me. It lingers, promising more until I'm twisted up in desire. Lying next to her, I let Roseanne love me as much as I love her. There's so much it can't fix, but right now that doesn't matter. Without her, I wonder if it'd be possible to keep going at all.

The rest of the day is spent together, enjoying each other's company. When a gloomy mood threatens to overtake me later in the night, Roseanne drags me to her room again and forces me to get changed. "Let's do something while we wait for more news. Just sitting around is gonna drive us crazy. Let's go out tonight?" "Sure." I throw together an outfit without much thought, while Roseanne takes her time fussing over me. Fastening my earrings herself, she kisses both my cheeks and helps me put on my makeup.
"Maybe we can learn something new if we do a little digging. And if we don't get any new leads, at least I took you out on a nice date." "Sounds good to me."

We go from club to club, local haunts populated exclusively by gang members and those who deal with them. "There's a lot of action going on tonight." "Yeah, I know. I feel lucky." Her voice is an affectionate purr. "It's easy to feel lucky when i have you on my arm."

There's a few familiar faces we bump into, pressing us for more details about the upcoming tournament. And an old gambler starts talking with us. "You are participating, aren't ya?" "It depends. Sometimes the hosts have grudges against me and uphold bans." "Cant be really too surprised about that." She shrugs, keeping it casual even though I can tell she's offended. "I'll definitely be playing." "Well, of course YOU are, Y/L." The other poker player smiles at me. "Gotta uphold tradition."
One of her old girlfriends keeps hanging about, trying to make eye contact. But she doesn't even register on Roseanne's radar. "She definitely will. And to keep her in tip top shape, I think it's time for us to retire." Roseanne winks. "She needs her beauty sleep."
Ultimately, nothing important happens. As much as we dig, nobody's heard or seen Jungkook since the incident at the docks. We duck out early, driving away feeling vaguely unsatisfied.

"About my parents... What tradition did they mean?" Roseanne rolled her shoulders, a little uncomfortable. "Just, you know, they ripped off a bunch of people. The line to get revenge on your folks could wrap around the city, you know."

Roseanne seems content, more or less. At the very least she doesn't have that dangerous energy radiating off her anymore. Some of her boiling anger towards her family, her abandonment, has simmered down. Revenge isn't as high a priority anymore. "Hey, i'm really proud of you." My girlfriend's smile is quick and quizzical, awaiting the punchline. "You didn't have a drop to drink all night." "Oh. Well you didn't drink either." "Yeah, to support you. It's probably harder to stay sober if you catch me getting tipsy all the time, right?"  She agrees quietly, maybe not wanting to feel like she's pinning any blame on me for her problem.

I hang one hand outside the convertible, letting the breeze hit me. I'm warm after being around so many people, and grateful for the chilly night air.

"My parents had this huge double life I never learned about. Every day I learn something new, and it's never enough. And we still haven't learned anything about Jungkook..." She squeezes my knee. "Hey, it's okay if we didn't get any info on him. I was with you. That's more important than anything he has."

Smiling, I'm about to say something else when my phone starts buzzing. It's Jennie's ringtone. "Hello? Everything okay." "Better than okay. Lis cracked the guy." Out of the corner of my eye I can see Roseanne's grip on the wheel tighten. A ball of anxiety grows in my chest, but I keep my voice light. "Tell her I said good job, and we'll be right there.".
We were making so much progress. Is it all going to fall apart again when Roseanne thinks Jungkook is in her reach? The both of us are left alone with our thoughts on the long drive home.

Nox greets us at the door, trotting over to the gambling room where the rest of the gang waits.

"Had any shootouts at the dock tonight?" There's no judgement in Jisoo's words, so I tease her right back. "No, not tonight. Just a few collapsed buildings." I nod over to Jennie. "I heard there was news? Where's Lisa?"

"Right here." A panel in the wall opens up, revealing Lisa. She wipes her hands with a dark towel before tossing it to the bar sink. "The guy is still back there." "Let's leave him alone for a bit to think about what he's done." Jennie and Lisa chuckle over that, completely without humour. "Jungkook is moving big product. Huge shipment of blood diamonds, stolen goods, and the necklace." "I still can't believe anyone wants to buy that stupid cursed thing." "There are a few." Sunmi says. "As you can see, the previous owner was eager to just give it away as a random prize."

"Wait. Hold on. Do you guys all seriously think it's cursed, or is that just an inside joke?" Jisoo asks genuinely asks. "Yes." We all respond. She huffs, pushing her hair out of her face. "Fine. So we want our cursed necklace back. We know where it'll be and when it'll be there. What's stopping us?" "Great question."
Lisa has dark circles around her eyes, and I can see her knuckles tinged faintly pink and raw looking. But she hops over to the bar, pouring out shots for everyone. Roseanne reaches out on instinct, but then pauses and slides her shot over to Jisoo. She accepts it without a word, knocking them all back with a smile.

"Are we going to try and intercept a deal again, or are we going to steal the merchandise before he has a chance to sell it?"

"One is more lucrative. One a little less dangerous."

"I'm all for the one that gets us the more money, but..." Roseanne toys with my shot glass. I had t drank either, letting Jennie take my shot. "I don't want Y/n in more danger than she needs to be." "Aww." I respond. "I agree" "Not you, too!" Roseanne shushes me with a kiss, forcing me to relent. "In the end, we just want what's ours. We're setting things right, and establishing ourselves as the top dog around here again. Okay?" She slides her hands through my hair. "Okay."

Im a little tired after everything, so Roseanne and I retreat to her room. I pull her clothes off to kiss her, pleased to find she's still marked from last night. "Look, I left my signature on you..." I give her another nip, nuzzling my head in the crook of her neck until she giggles. "Ready for some actions, Y/n?" "I'm ready. Anything for you Rosie. You ready to see Jungkook again?" She hooks her arms around my waist. "As ready as Ill ever be."

hello 🥴